Hi All..glad to be here and to meet you all

GoldenMotor.com

MotorMichael

Nov 21, 2011
San Jose, CA
Hello from San Jose! I'm Mike and excited to start my first build shortly. I was going to go with a 2 stroke 66/80 v frame kit but decided to go with a rear mount first...here's why; I figure a rear mount would accommodate a larger engine (predator 212) and give me a reasonably un-obsrtucted area to experiment with different gears, pulleys, transmissions and drives other than chain. Living in California kind of restricts my choice of kits to Venice bike kits and nothing against them but I think I may piece this one together with aftermarket parts. For starters...anyone know where I can get a generic rear drive mounting plate and support brackets? I really don't need a clutch and friction roller right now. Thanks all and I look forward to being a member of this forum!!

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Welcome to the forum! Nice to see another member from my hometown!

For your first build, I humbly recommend you do as much research here as you can. I can't help you with your mount question, as I'm an in-frame kinda guy, and I think a 212cc on a rear-mount would be a disaster. In my humble opinion, It's a lot of motor for a first motor-assisted bicycle build, and it's a heckuva lot of motor to be mounting up high on a bicycle in rackmount configuration!

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
Welcome to the forum. Like Ale said do lots of research here before you actually get the ball rolling. There are places on the Forum ad board that should point you towards a rear mount system. There have been members that have pulled off squeezing a predator 212cc in the frame. I don't want to take away from your idea, but for a motor that big on a rear mount is just asking for trouble. Don't plan on taking it racing! Your center of gravity will be non-existent because the center mass will be so top heavy (you & motor) and it may have the tendency to top-side. I recommend getting all the information that you need pertaining to the 212cc and put it inside the frame rather then on a rear rack. Either way, it's always good to get some more newbies joining the forum. When you get started be sure to take plenty of pictures for all of us. (^)

Take care,

Frank

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Welcome aboard, MM.
Best advice would be to read through as many of the fab threads as you can.
There's SO MUCH good information here!
and helpful people!!!

IMO, as mentioned above, a 212 is big and heavy for a rack mount.
makes for a tall center of gravity and less than optimal handling.

If you really want to experiment with drive mechanisms, might be good to try a pusher trailer... then you can get at everything easily, all the time???

Also, IMO, the 79/98/99cc 4 cycle HF engine is probably better suited to mab application because it is smaller, and does have plenty of power for most use.
Only prob is that our magnificent Kalifornia CARB won't allow them shipped here.
(Got a friend over in Reno/Sparks???)

By far, IMO, best way to get involved in mabs would be with a chinagirl and a thrift store mtb bicycle that has front and rear rim brakes. Still gotta find one that can be shipped into our state. :-(

FD string trimmer is fun, too.
It might be the best way to avoid inter-action with the tax collectors.

Read through a buncha threads and have a look at what the advertising vendors have to offer!

Best
rc