Finally Got Stranded....chain problems

GoldenMotor.com

ex42k9j

Aug 29, 2010
Well I've been riding my MB for a little while now (broke it in and such) but sometimes I still get chain problems (it will sometimes pop off the sprocket, the chain doesnt break it just is very loose sometimes and gets unaligned). I don't use a chain tensioner and I am using a #41 roller chain.

So knowing this I carry some tools with me. Spare chain, spare master links, chain breaking tool, wrenches to move wheels, etc.

Well I decided to go fishing one day and all was well. I rode the 20+ miles to my fishing place and rode around to a few other places. All in all I probably got around 40 miles or so before I decided to head home.

I make it half way to my house (now put on about 50 miles with a good 8+ miles still to go, the majority of it is up hills) and my chain pops off and I swear to God it either disintegrated or the rode ate it because I looked around for it for a good 20 minutes and couldn't find a single piece anywhere.

I called it quits looking for the chain and decided to just use my spare chain. Well to bad for me I forgot the tool to pass your chain through the motor clutch part so I had to use a pair of needle node pliers to pass the chain through and when I finally got it on I then realized I had no master links and the chain was just a little to short to connect so even if I did, it wouldn't of reached.

Luckily I was able to get a buddy to come pick me up and I wasn't to far away from civilization that I couldn't just peddle the bike to a store and sit there and wait.

Now I know to be more prepared cause now I have to buy another roller chain and while I am at it I am going to replace all the sprocket and clutch plate nuts and bolts cause they were starting to come loose and the majority of them are stripped. Cheap Chinese parts....well they weren't as bad as everyone said they were. I probably got over 150 miles on the bike before needing to replace them.

TLDR:

Got stranded. Want to know what I can do about this chain popping off.

Would it be a good idea to locktite the bolts?

EDIT:

reading up on the problem I read "Sprocket not centered on the rear wheel will cause the chain tension to rapidly change from tight too loose." which is what my bike does. It can be nice and tight (I dare call it perfect) but sometimes it is very loose with a lot of slack. If I remove one link, it is no longer long enough to install so I am thinking it must be my sprocket.

The chain does pass through straight (looks straight to me) and lines up from the rear wheel to the motor. I really wasn't paying attention to the sprocket when I put it on.

Also considering to file the side teeth of the sprocket.

I will await the opinions of those who know more than me though.

Last edited:

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
You could install a half-link to solve loose chain problems.

After breaking chains enroute to work, I decided to carry a complete bicycle chain and a complete engine chain in my backpack. the bike chain needs a chainbreaker, the engine chain has a master link.

I found out the hard way that a few tight chain links will cause the chain to jump.:-||

ex42k9j

Aug 29, 2010
thanks geoldr but I use a coaster brake bicycle and according to those in the thread it won't work on it.

I was looking at a youtube video of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3IPgvZLccI
bearing cap mod. basically he widened the sprocket hole. To bad I don't have one of those machines.

5-7heaven: yeah I carry spare chain I just wasn't as prepared as I thought. Half link may be worth checking in to. Didn't know they had half links for roller chains.

geoldr

Jun 19, 2011
California
I also recommend the half-links. I got that for my chain, and I no longer have a chain tensioner, and never had a chain jump on me

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
thanks geoldr but I use a coaster brake bicycle and according to those in the thread it won't work on it.

I was looking at a youtube video of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3IPgvZLccI
bearing cap mod. basically he widened the sprocket hole. To bad I don't have one of those machines.

5-7heaven: yeah I carry spare chain I just wasn't as prepared as I thought. Half link may be worth checking in to. Didn't know they had half links for roller chains.
Last month, I wasn't prepared as well, either. I rolled over something on the road. It jumped up and broke my engine chain. No spare chain, and replacing the broken link made it too short.

It was a long 4-mile pedal ride to work that morning. I left the bike at work overnight, then returned with a truck to retrieve it the nexct day.:-||

ex42k9j

Aug 29, 2010
Well I sold my bike.....it was fun while it lasted but better it be someone elses problem.

This will probably be my last post here unless I get another kit (not in the foreseeable future) or check back from time to time to help out other newbies with the stuff I learned and to keep me up to date with the MB community.

Thanks everyone that helped me out and contributed in my threads

~ex42k9j

Colby

Jan 29, 2012
calgary ab canada
I just installed a spring loaded tensioner and I find that it works as well as it should. I have noticed that there is less rubbing from side slap of the chain therefore there is less vibration. I have had chain chain problems this winter, too. Part of riding a gas bike :) Anyways, I've got 40 km on the new set up and I like it! dnut I even got to do dnut last night. No pop off of the chain.