It's amazing!

GoldenMotor.com

FatOldGuy

Apr 24, 2011
Arizona
There seems to be a large demand for a gas tank other than stock, yet nobody seems to make one!
I would love to make one, but I am only really good at small resin casting. I could never do something like a tank.
Though I am working on a really neat PipBoy 3000 replica :) (for fans of Fallout)

Well I am going to try and make a mold. Maybe I can carve a tank out of wood or foam or something, make a rubber mold, and then instead of resin, fiberglass the tank. I will have to think about it.

FatOldGuy

Apr 24, 2011
Arizona
Well I would not make a resin tank. I was thinking of a two part mold. I would coat the inside of the mold with layers of fiberglass. Or make a wire frame and cover it in fiberglass. That is how I make speaker boxes for cars.

The resin castings I do are mostly to make custom car models.

Come to think of it the wire model may not be a bad idea.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Well I would not make a resin tank. I was thinking of a two part mold. I would coat the inside of the mold with layers of fiberglass. Or make a wire frame and cover it in fiberglass. That is how I make speaker boxes for cars.

The resin castings I do are mostly to make custom car models.

Come to think of it the wire model may not be a bad idea.
I made epoxy resin RC boat hulls by carving the shape from foam, epoxying it up, and the melting the foam out with MEK or acetone. Messy but not to hard to do and got a great result. Use EPOXY resin instead of fiberglass for gas tanks. (Might consider lining it with fuel resistant coating too)