Hole in clutch case?!

GoldenMotor.com

knitt31

Mar 31, 2011
WI
Hi all, I pulled my pk-80 off my bike today, cleaning it up, and getting it ready to transfer to my new bike, and I found this dreadful hole in the bottom of my clutch case. Has this happened to anyone? Can i fix it with pc7? Anyone know what caused it? Thanks!

Attachments

leadfarmer

Sep 30, 2011
VA
I would put the cover back on and cover the hole with a piece of electical tape. There is no liquid to contain, just keep the dust out. If you fix it with something hard, what if the hard stuff breaks loose and gets into the gears?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
We've seen this before. The theory is that something was loose and flopping around inside the cover. There's very little space between the gear and the cover so even a small foreign object can cause that damage. Looking at your photo I don't see the set screw that keeps the flower nut from loosening. It might have been that screw. I'd check for corresponding marks on the gears.

Like Leadfarmer said, there's nothing there to leak out so it isn't a big concern except for dirt and dust to get in. You can patch it with an epoxy based compound such as Devcon Liquid Aluminum, or similiar product or just cover the hole with tape. It isn't a structural part and only keeps the clutch clean.
A new cover can be ordered from several of the vendors here if you're not into repairing yours.
Tom

Last edited: