Newbie needing info on building a community bike

GoldenMotor.com

alpha ralpha

Jul 21, 2008
We need something for the disabled residents to be able to get to the store on. I need info on the type of motor to get and maybe some suggestions about where to purchase one. The funds will come from our petty cash so it can't be too expensive. I'm thinking of buying a regular trike and putting a motor on it for them to ride. I see some on eBay that go on the front tire, would that be best or should I do the "internal" setup?

Now on a personal note, like they say when you help someone you help yourself, as I've been checking into this I would like to build a 2 wheeler for myself; something faster and stylish. Any suggestions? I have more to spend but would like to keep it reasonable so any places types of motors to look for will be greatly appreciated. I see 80cc motors all over eBay, are these good?

Thanks,

bamabikeguy

Jun 28, 2008
Holly Pond, AL
picasaweb.google.com
The only safe tricycle is the Worksman, imho.

The Sun/TedWilliams Sears $250 types (like pic 3) sit way too high off the ground, are flimsy in the frame area, tilt on turns.

While the Worksman is low to the ground, with bombproof wheels.

You can throw one off a bridge, fish it out 10 years later and apply a bit of grease, off you go.

I've built about 5 on Worksman, only one front wheel driven. The Staton set up, (pic 1) with the Subaru 35 4 cycle, is a combo that would give reliability for years and years.

Attachments

Last edited:

stude13

May 28, 2008
north bend wa.
hi ralph; try craigs list for a trike or the police dept. often times fraternal orgs. will purchase a tool like a trike. i have mounted a golden eagle bike engine on a front wheel. there are small engines at scootercatalog that will work with gebe. safety first, go slow, wear a helmet, a bright vest and gloves are good. we as a group will help as we can.

alpha ralpha

Jul 21, 2008
I am in Brandon Florida.

Been looking around eBay today and found a used honda gx31 for $220. Do you think that would be a good one to buy?

I'm sure I can find a good deal on the trike.

So far looking for myself I like the gx50 but wonder if the roller would work ok.

alpha ralpha

Jul 21, 2008
Well, I bought the honda gx31 with a bike machine drive. It'll take a couple of weeks before I get it in the mail but will post pics of the finished product when it's done.