pleeeez help!

GoldenMotor.com

loose vowels

Aug 30, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Im sure this info is buried in a thread somewhere here... been lookin and cant find it.
PROBLEM: Going on 3rd gallon of gas on a new 80cc(from bikeberry), and I'm losing power, slowly but surely. Top speed has gone from 25mph to about 10 to 15! Have tried many of the suggested fixes but nothing helps. I should mention that while driving in a bit of a drizzle, there was a big pop and some burn residue is now on the clear plastic sleeve that covers one of the electronics connections. I know little about how the coil really works...would that be something that continues to poop out slowly, because it didnt seem to have much of an initial impact on the bike. Any thoughts? thanks, loose

r00t4rd3d

Aug 2, 2010
Internet
Sounds like your main jet is clogged. Pop it out and ream it out with a bread tire wire with the plastic stripped off it. Hold the jet up to a bright light source before and after the reaming to verify that it was clogged.

Also make sure your electrical connections are well connected and taped with electrical tape. The burn mark is from the hot wire shorting out on your frame. Probably from the water.

:)

Last edited:

loose vowels

Aug 30, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
ok cleaned and reamed...didnt see much of anything in terms of clogs. took the entire carb apart and cleaned everything but not much improvement if at all. Any other suggestions? I'm stumped again...had a friend over who knows a lot more than I and he thinks it is carb-related but dont know what it could be. any ideas would be greatly appreciated. thanks, loose

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Just a thought here loose....if your losing power, it may be your losing compression. Check and if needed, tighten down the cylinderhead nuts. Check the intake manifold to see if it's torqued down as well.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
CDI might be breaking down. Had the same thing happen to me. Not so much your burn residue scenario. I got the same personality traits out of the motor. It would run for a short time then loose power. The said CDI was warm to the touch from grounding out internally.

When you get it all figured out do make clean and solder all your wire connections.

Last edited:

loose vowels

Aug 30, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
thanks, everyone! i will try torquing everything down again and check for leaks with the carb spray tomorrow. losing compression was my first thought so im gonna take another look. also, has anyone had problems with the fuel shutoff valve leaking from the anglefire kits? what brand motor kits do you guys recommend? thanx, loose

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I had a spare motor kit at the time and swapped out my cdi. Everything was back to normal.
Check over your entire wiring job all the way to the spark plug for any cheezy connections. It could be any thing in that electrical path breaking down.

Check the simple stuff first your head on the motor may just need re torqued .

Last edited:

Bob Mac 18704

Jan 24, 2010
penna.
With the popping sound you say you heard I would go directly to the head gasket. Just torquing it won't clarify anything. Take the head right off and check the gasket first. The burn mark is probably from the exhaust gases. Just my 2 cents

r00t4rd3d

Aug 2, 2010
Internet
Start the engine , spray a light amount of WD-40 around where the carburetor connects to the intake. If the engine dies or sputters you have an air leak there. Seal it with an oring or some sort of high heat silicone.

Also the spark plug that come with the kits are junk. If you ran 16:1 ratio for break in , I am sure the plug is toasted. Change it if you havent already.

:)

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I should mention that while driving in a bit of a drizzle, there was a big pop and some burn residue is now on the clear plastic sleeve that covers one of the electronics connections.
I don't know why people are telling you to mess with the carb and head and such first...
The problems sound electrical as you mentioned you see burning on an electrical connection after riding in the rain, and it is easy to check.

Look at the 3 wires coming out of the motor.
The White one is raw AC from the magneto.
The Blue wire is the timed pulse to your CDI ignition Module.
The black is ground.

Disconnect anything going to the White one and wrap some electrical tape around it.
Now pull the other two and check them for solid connection and no moisture and put them back in, then wrap them in electrical tape too.
Finally, check the plug connector for moisture and put it back on, make sure it feels snug.

Give it a try and let us know, and which connector was darkened.
Note you won't have a kill button at the moment as we need to remove it from the equation.
It could well be a mechanical problem, but a bad ignition connection can cause everything you mention.

Last edited:

loose vowels

Aug 30, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
if you've been running a 16 to 1 mix for break in try cleaning out the exhaust pipe
that was it...my buddy burnt the pipe out with a torch though, and the problem came right back! i had to drill out the inner pipe to fix it cuz its jammed full of burnt oil and junk. now it works well, but takes forever to get up to top speed. there was a period where i actually had to choke the engine to get it to accelerate over 10 mph... kind of fixed itself tho. thank you! loose