my 4 stroke clutch has ground almost completely away.

GoldenMotor.com

athletichunta

Jul 22, 2010
florida
I can't figure out why. i got it idling where the wheel doesn't move and i never ride it with the break on while the engine is revving.

I only have about 170miles on it and already needs new clutch pads.

does anyone know where i can get one or what the problem may be?, thanks.

Last edited:

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I can't figure out why. i got it idling where the wheel doesn't move and i never ride it with the break on while the engine is revving.

I only have about 170miles on it and already needs new clutch pads.

does anyone know where i can get one or what the problem may be?, thanks.
What?????? I've got 3,000miles on mine and they could prolly do another 9,000miles.

You'ld have to be burning up the steepest of hills with the brakes nearly locked-up for 170miles to even think of wearing these clutch shoes down at all. I'm not even gonna touch this one.....are you kidding me??? You should have at least snapped a belt by now at that rate:rolleyes:

athletichunta

Jul 22, 2010
florida
well im running a chain not a belt, and no i'm not kidding at all sadly.

Nooo no no, I'm not riding up hills with the breaks on or anything like that at all.

Now what is strange is this happened to my last motor to before it broke from there not having enough oil in the engine, thats unrelated however and the only reason i found out about the clutch was because i took the engine apart. Then I bought another motor without a gear box and swapped it from my old motor onto my new.

Is there suppose to be any oil in the clutch or anything or some type adhesive that i missed??. I did put wd40 behind the cup on the gearbox that the clutch grabs onto using the little holes to lubricate the ball bearing witch are a little gunked up with powder from the last time the clutch got ground down on the first motor.

thanks

is it possible that the first motors clutch ground down because I was revving it with the wheel off the ground and the second one broke because it got dirty from the old gearbox being on it, old clutch powder from my other motors pads getting stuck in the new clutch?.

Last edited:

athletichunta

Jul 22, 2010
florida
I used w240 to clean out my clutch and gear box and this is what came out.. http://img195.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=webcam2010091205273.png
The first pic is the gearbox the second is the clutch.

Its not oil, its dw40 mixed with clutch pad dust.

Now how could this have even happened?.. On both motors too /:..

2 different reasons maybe?. gosh... ok..

I think on the original motor it got ground down because I ran it with the wheel off the ground at a high throttle for like a total of a little less than minute and it caused the clutch to get ground down a little and thus the gearbox got clogged with clutch powder, because the gearbox was clogged with clutch powder it made the gearbox harder to spin causing even more of the clutch to get worn down until it completely ate it up.

Then when i swapped the gearbox to my second engine without cleaning it, it wore this clutch down aswell.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy Athlet. Pics would really help. Can cell phone cam then email to your self or use a cam ready friends cell. Do you know what kind of clutch? Burning out that fast, dunno. Some thing is way wrong. But as always, some one will have had the same problem or have a fix.

Fla. has to be MB paradise. Str8, flat roads and 12 months a yr of ridding weather. Already getting chilly here and am hating it. Can't get Carol to budge, snork.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I just want to give you a little tip on how not to make such a mess of your ceramic tile floor the next time you remove the gearbox from the engine.

At least put down a big sheet of cardboard or plywood underneath the bike. Do it out side, not inside and use a shop vac or an air compressor to blow the dust out, instead of making permanent ink with liquids. And finally, leave the clutch bell alone, it needs no attention. If you want to lube that bearing, a hypodermic type micro grease gun is best, or a couple (as in 1 or 2) drops of tri-flow directly into the bearing ONLY.

The only way you could have ruined the clutch pads that quickly would be soaking them with some liquid that softend and ruined the composition of the pads, making them crumble perhaps. These are not "wet" clutches....they are "dry" clutches!!!

Last edited: