Coaster brake adjustment?

GoldenMotor.com

Beej

Jun 7, 2010
San Diego, CA
Can Coaster brakes be adjusted to have more or less stopping power? My brake feels a little light on the braking power and I would like to have it a little stronger.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
there are no adjustments on a coaster brake. the only thing you can do is take it apart, clean all the old grease out of it, and re-assemble it with some high quality grease. and when it comes to coaster brakes, there's no such thing as "too much" grease.

another way to make them work better is to use a smaller sprocket in the front. that gives the brake more leverage.

Beej

Jun 7, 2010
San Diego, CA
How hard is it to take apart and put back together? What grease is the best to use? It is a brand new Phat Cycles beach cruiser, the Skullz model. The coaster brake says HISTOP on the arm.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
they're no fun your first time, you gotta make sure you keep track of all the parts. i use hi-temp wheel bearing grease from ACE, i think Phil Wood is probably the best, you might find it at a good bike shop, or that red grease, can't think of the name...

here's a few sites that take you through it:

Park Tool Website

Bicycle Coaster Brakes

and then this guy takes it to the extreme, but i don't like all of his recommendations: Overhauling a Coaster Brake Bike