No more custom sprocket adapters :(

GoldenMotor.com

jared8783

May 13, 2009
Elkhart, IN
It isn't that he's no longer making sprocket adapters - just that he's no longer willing to deal directly with the customer for making custom adapters
Just to be clear according to the email quoted in the first post of this thread as of now there will be NO custom sprocket adapters

You can still get sprocket adapters but there are only 3 or 4 sizes to choose from.

jared8783

May 13, 2009
Elkhart, IN
Also I am not trying to suggest someone "steal his invention"
but if he is walking away from the customization business I dont see how it could be wrong for someone else to do it.
You cant get mad at someone for accepting business that you turn down.

dag_29307

Jul 1, 2009
Enoree, Sc.
Also I am not trying to suggest someone "steal his invention"
but if he is walking away from the customization business I dont see how it could be wrong for someone else to do it.
You cant get mad at someone for accepting business that you turn down.
It might not be wrong legally, But ethically it would be questionable.

jared8783

May 13, 2009
Elkhart, IN
I am not saying they make any of the 3 or 4 he is making
just the custom ones he refuses to

And i just now read bits and peices of the thread where he was talkin about going out of business for the first time and after doing so i gotta say that i am thankful he is still making products
I would much rather buy a sprocket adapter AND a hub than to have no sprocket adapter at all on future builds

I gotta give Jim props for keeping the business a float with his personal savings
I couldn't expect that from anyone

Thanks Jim and I wish the best of luck to you

GeneFiorot

Feb 12, 2009
Punta Gorda Florida
Jim's Business will be a lot healthier if he can produce some amount of volume and standardize to some extent parts. It will mean more parts. In the case of hubs there are so many variations of really crappy hubs with inferior bearings that often are different on the same brand and model bicycles that just ascertaining the correct hub is a major chore. If you are looking for reliability and speeds in excess of 20 mph over long distances it makes sense to use a good hub. Having a premiere sprocket adapter and sprocket makes a perfect match for a higher quality hub for a professional build. When you talk about custom work, 50 units is not exactly mass production. Instead of worrying about patents and others stealing ideas maybe you should be encouraging those with deep pockets to order 50 units of their favorite crummy hub and sell the other 49 here on the swap. Failing that, Pirate Cycles seems to be doing a pretty good job of solving the problem for 99 percent of us at this time. Otherwise you should stay on the rag.

jared8783

May 13, 2009
Elkhart, IN
did you not read post #16

I encouraged someone to order 50.

And I do believe that there are more than 4 models of high quality hubs in existence.

Not all of us get our bikes from wally world.

GeneFiorot

Feb 12, 2009
Punta Gorda Florida
Yes you are correct, not all of us get our bikes from Wally World but Jim wouldn't be in business if he depended on those who didn't. On the contrary, It is a happy day for Motorbicycling. We now have 4 choices of hubs to work with the best adapters and sprockets ever made for Motor Bicycles and they get shipped in a timely manner from Pirate Cycles. Cheers Jim!

Gareth

Dec 8, 2009
Floriduh
Honestly, this is a good thing....other than the fact that the "common" wheels used are garbage that is either too heavy or too weak. Fortunately, I already have my adapter for my pulsar hub and won't be needing another any time soon. For the walmart crowd, you're covered.