Squeaking Springer

GoldenMotor.com

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
I love my springer front end but the squeak from the spring bolt is about to drive me insane. I've tried lithium grease on the bolt and aligning the hoop on the head assembly but they seem to only be a temporary fix, after a few miles that dang annoying squeak is back again.

Has anyone come up with a permanent fix?

I seem to remember something about putting some sort of a plastic sleeve over the bolt but I can't remember what was used.

K.i.p

Nov 8, 2009
CNY
I don't know what fork set you have. I purchased mine new, made in Taiwan. The pivot point of the forks was absolutely frightening. I drilled it out and inserted brass bushings to snug up the pivot and added washers on each side between pivot and fork. The whole area got a good dose of grease before reassembly. Maybe I'm lucky but no squeaks there or at spring system. (Yes suspension is set up to actually "give").

If you bought a new set for safety's sake take a good look at your fit and finish. Just an opinion.

Maxvision

Jun 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
Yea, like K.I.P. said. Some of the squeaking may be coming from the hinge points of your forks. If you dont want to go to all the trouble K.I.P did, spray some lube around those bolts on your fork tubes. I know it helped mine.

Last edited:

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Ok found a decent pic of a head assembly, the squeak is coming from where the spring bolt goes though the hole in the hoop. I could have sworn I'd seen something where someone made some kind of bushing or a sleeve for the spring bolt but I'm coming up empty.