Rusty tank

GoldenMotor.com

cnodie1

Jan 27, 2010
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Just got a NEW (old) tank off eBay and while removing the rust from the inside with white vinegar, a very very small hole appeared. so small in fact the vinegar only bubbled out at first. now every time i fill the tank a little bubble forms where the leak is but its definitely not flowing, yet.

Since it is such a small leak would you recommend just brazing over the spot with some brazing rods? or should i go all out and coat the inside of the tank with cream?

Also i am having trouble getting all the rust off. i have been using white vinegar, do you recommend anything else?

Thanks
Clark

cnodie1

Jan 27, 2010
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Just got a NEW (old) tank off eBay and while removing the rust from the inside with white vinegar, a very very small hole appeared. so small in fact the vinegar only bubbled out at first. now every time i fill the tank a little bubble forms where the leak is but its definitely not flowing, yet.

Since it is such a small leak would you recommend just brazing over the spot with some brazing rods? or should i go all out and coat the inside of the tank with cream?

Also i am having trouble getting all the rust off. i have been using white vinegar, do you recommend anything else?

Thanks
Clark
Ok so after a more thorough cleaning with some muriatic acid (yikes!) I found a few more pinholes in the bottom. Also after finding out that NO ONE in the area stocks brazing rods I decided to make lemonade and I JB welded the entire area that had the pinholes. I must say that it looks pretty cool and I have decided to JB weld the entire outside of the tank and paint it to match my bike. I figured the tank only costs 20 bucks so who cares and it will match the rest of the kludged items on my bike :D

I will post pics as soon as I am done cleaning the rest of the tank off and I seal it. Should cause a few laughs!

Clark

cnodie1

Jan 27, 2010
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Another thing I just remembered... When i cleaned out the inside with the acid I had to wash it out the acid with water. However an hour later when I checked the tank a layer of rust had already formed inside the tank. I need to get the water out after cleaning before it rust again... Could I use WD 40 or am I wasting my time (aka will it rust even with the WD 40)

I know I should seal the tank after cleaning but thats a little too expensive for my college wallet :(

If all else fails though I will just keep using my inline filter and not worry about the rust...

Clark

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
The jb-weld might not hold up for long. I think you payed too much for the tank,i think you could have got another one without rust or holes for the same price.

I would just get another cheap tank without rust or holes,they sell plastic ones on scooter websites for like $10-15. goodluck with your tank.

I bought a 25oz aluminum water bottle with screw on cap for $1 at a dollar store,even at other stores they are only around $5-10 and come in larger sizes, drill a hole at bottem of bottle and add a petcock and you have a tank,put that in a bottle holder. Also needs a vent hole on top of bottle.
I have not made a tank out of the bottle yet,but in the third pic is of someone else who did.

Attachments

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I'd trash that tank and get another one. Also I'd report the seller to Ebay if he refuses to take it back. The next time you run into rust inside a tank, even a new one from a kit, Remove the petcock, fill it about 1/4 full of pea gravel, buck shot (bee-bees) or course sand then shake the heck out of it for a while. The abrasive action of whatever you used will remove the rust without resorting to acids. When you're satisfied with the results rinse the tank with hot water making sure to get it clean. If you have access to compressed air then blow dry the inside or put the tank in direct sunlight or near a source of heat to completely dry it. In high humidity areas, like Louisiana, you can't leave the tank empty for too long before rust will again form. Unless you plan to fill it with fuel mix soon keep the cap on and plug the fuel outlet to help keep out the moist air.
Tom