Clutch engaging

GoldenMotor.com

jirble2

Mar 23, 2010
I've been having to constantly adjust the clutch because it has been slowly going into the engaged (i.e. moving the whole bike) position. I've checked that the screw that keeps the cluch nut in place is securely in place, so I just can't think of what else it is. Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated.
:-||

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
My clutch has always been inconsistent and in need of adjustment on my China Girl, even after replacing the cross shaft bearings. I didn't pay a lot for the engine kit so I just live with it.
Tinkering with the flower nut adjustment may help.

Last edited:

jirble2

Mar 23, 2010
The engine is just a 48cc 2-stroke standard chinese engine. I don't know what you'd call this type of clutch, but it is NOT the automatic type. It's just the type connected to the clutch handle.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Once you get the clutch adjusted right, really tighten down the cable end, it will take three hands and some locking pliers.

jirble2

Mar 23, 2010
Just another way to describe the problem,

If I don't adjust it with the flower nut then my only other option is to re-tension the clutch cable at the clutch arm. But the only way for me to do that is to push the arm in further and further each time.

stv1jzgte

Feb 11, 2009
australia
Just another way to describe the problem,

If I don't adjust it with the flower nut then my only other option is to re-tension the clutch cable at the clutch arm. But the only way for me to do that is to push the arm in further and further each time.
Your not a clutch slipper are ya? over time the pads will get thinner only a mm or 2 but thats all it takes. I had 1 do a similar thing by the time i swaped it out the clutch arm was 45Deg to the motor regardless of the fnut position.

jirble2

Mar 23, 2010
Your not a clutch slipper are ya? over time the pads will get thinner only a mm or 2 but thats all it takes. I had 1 do a similar thing by the time i swaped it out the clutch arm was 45Deg to the motor regardless of the fnut position.
If that's the case, and I wouldn't be surprised if it is (chinese engine lol), are there any long lasting clutch pads anyone knows of? If so, where can I buy them? And how do I install new clutch pads?

jirble2

Mar 23, 2010
Forgot to mention in last post,

I found out what the problem is! One of the three screws that keep on the left side clutch cover were loose, and there was a big gap between the cover and the engine, so I tightened up all the screws, and it worked!

All is better now

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Case closed! I'm glad you didn't go chasing after clutch pads since that would indicate your clutch was slipping, which is the opposite of what you stated.