preserving your motorized bicycle frame

GoldenMotor.com

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
a good way to mount to the frame of the bike so you do not scratch it all up is to take ruber rim tape and wrap it around where your mounts are. this not only protects your paint and frame from scratches but the rubber helps with vibration

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Re: preserving your frame

I used old school "friction tape". Just a few layers, you don't want to mount the engine with too much give as that causes some problems of it's own.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas

You all have watched the bike building shows on the tube? Did you notice that where the engine mounted on the frame they remove the paint. The reason for this is the paint will fertt away if you don't remove the paint( but only where the engine mounts touch the frame) and this in turn lets the engine mounts get loose. Then the engine gets loose you get to walk. I know some of you don't like that idea but that is what happens. You can prevent the engine from getting loose by checking the mounting bolts but sooner or later it will get ya. Loose a little paint or the engine.
Maybe I was a little to rough on all you if you got your bike built checking the engine mounting bolts once in awhile will probably be good enough. Don't you hate it when your out riding and have to pedal or push it home when the engine tries to jump ship! Which so far has not happened to me on the bicycle but I've got a good story about coming home from Sturgis, South Dakota in2006 from the bike rally new tires and 70mph close to Denver in rush hour traffic and I run over a Allen wrench and the back tire goes flat instantly and me and the old lady go on Mr. Toads wild ride. That will soil your armored under garments real quick.
Norman

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina

I had a really hard bike fit. The sissy schwinn tubes are too small. I had to wrap them in a piece of rubber hose. I have no idea what this is going to do in the end.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina

I had planned to ride it till the motor falls off but to tighten it every couple of rides in the meantime.

I have just now gotten the slack in the chain right I think. I'm still not positive but it rode better yesterday noise wise.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina

To be honest the only way I could get it to work for me was to start with about half inch of slack then roll the bike backward a few inches then check the slack again. When it got tight I loosened the nuts and put some more slack in the chain. Eventually I could roll it back without it being tight at any point. I have no idea how much slack I have at any given time.

I know that means my sprocket isn't on perfect but I swear I measured it in ten or 12 places before I tightened it down. I just don't think i can make it an more center. Then I measured it from sprocket to spoke while tightening it. The are all the same I think. The wheel is a coaster so it could be a bit crooked in the frame I suppose, but it spins true. I have no idea but it seems to work now so I'm leaving it the heck alone. I also have two washers as spacers to get the chain away from the frame and that seems to work as well.

I doubt that this would work for anyone else but It seemed to be fine when I got to ride it yesterday.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI

deacon if you got the 5 hole sprocket like came with mine you will never get it perfect at least i couldn't lol. i went to a nine screw hole sprocket and centered with ease

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina

I have the nine hole but I swear I don't know what is wrong with it. Still its working now So Im gonna leave it alone for now.