Fast Eddy/Silverbear on the move

GoldenMotor.com

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
The old men are on the move today. Should just about be to Ohio at this time headed west to Iowa. Traveling on Interstate 70 in a tan Ram camper van. They'll probably be back in Minnesota in a couple days and back on the forum. Keep an eye out for them!
Dan

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
I think you might be correct on both counts Lud! But they fit right in here, and Jackie and I had a good time swappin' stories around the kitchen table.

Dan

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
The Odd-Strange Couple arrived home at 1am Monday morning having traveled almost 1,700 miles from 8:30 Saturday morning. A couple of hour long naps at rest areas and what we could get in the bed in the camper as the other guy drove.

The plan was for Silverbear to go to his brothers to pick up his "new to him,"mint 1984 Ford Ranger 1/2 ton pick up with 26,000 miles on it, by bus from Davenport Iowa and the camper would head for Minnesota. Seems today you have to prepay and print out your own ticket or the bus doesn't stop. A quick confab (At 1:30 in the morning) between the intrepid travelers and the campers gas tank was filled up and off they went to Logan Iowa.

The pick up was coming home no matter what it took.

Picked up the truck and headed for Minnesota and arrived with out incident and now we are recovering. This may well be the last road trip for both of us but what better way to do it than with a great friend and meeting up with other great and wonderful friends along the way.

Steve

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Keep moving, doing, living. I live in a place where people get old in their heads before their bodies pack up, and I'll tell you now, if I have to crawl, I'll play guitar and go to totally disreputable pubs. I ain't stopping.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
The pickup is a 1981 F-100 and I love it. A.M. only radio is a little strange, like tuning into the twilight zone, but it is a fine ride with me dog riding shotgun. Got the topper on yesterday and now it is ready for winter. No 4WD, so I have the back end loaded with sand bags and a section of railroad iron... snow time in a month or less.

1700 miles in a couple of days is too much road for an old bear. Feeling beat up, I am. Steve hid out in his camper for a couple days resting up and headed out for Vancouver yesterday morning for another 2,000 mile jaunt. I'm glad to stay put. He figures 3 1/2 - 4 days to get there. Drive safely, my friend.

Steve got to see his son in Vermont and I saw my son & daughter & grand kids in the Baltimore area, visited with Tinsmith (Dan & wife Jackie) and also removed items from my 1951 Spartan trailer while doing some repair/ maintenance work on it. Also saw my brother briefly in Iowa while picking up me spiffy new to me truck. So it was a good trip.

Here's hoping that next year at bicycle camp the road trips are limited to what a couple of old farts can manage on their tri-cars... like a ride up to the lake for a swim or down the road to a neighbor's for a fish fry. My kind of road trips.

I'll upload some photos from Tinsmith's shop showing some photos of him making up a copper tool box for my Indian Hiawatha tri-car. Turned out great! Thank you, sir! If I can manage to figure out how to upload the photos from a chromebook they will be on my Indian Hiawatha thread.

Road trips are good, especially getting home again.
SB

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
I'll take that as a compliment Russell, and I would say the same about you. I hope I can keep up to you 5 years from now.

As for the other "Elder Pair". They do quite well too. SB was on the move most of the time he was here and Steve managed to put new brakes on his truck before the return trip. All these guys are good examples to keep going and they are good friends on top of it.

Dan

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
I left bike camp at 10:30 A.M. Wednesday and arrived here at home 9 P.M. Friday covering about 1,900 miles. Right into the hospital today {Saturday} to find out the definitely has been gotten rid of bone infection that landed me in the hospital last October and had me on antibiotics for 9 months has returned even worse than it was then.
So far they want me into the hospital twice a day for intravenous antibiotics but we will see how long that lasts before they decide that I have to go in full time like last time.

Not the perfect ending to bike camp for sure.

Steve.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Steve,
Sorry to hear about the bone infection. Not good. I emailed your brother earlier today and he told me you were in hospital. I thought it was something else, less serious. Take care, my friend and keep us informed on how you are doing.
SB

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Jackie, Dan and I spent many hours around the kitchen table talking about our shared interests in early architecture and antiques as well as the antique shows we had done and the people we had met.

Jackie told me about her Dad working in management for a tobacco company his whole life and what he had seen and done. Her description of the early 1800's tobacco packing shed was first rate. Now torn down to make room for something else it should have been a museum and a window into the past.

You may have heard about southern cooking. I was the happy recipient of the best when Jackie served up lunch and supper. When Jackie wasn't home at lunchtime Dan stepped in to do the honors. Thank you both so much.

Listen to Dan talk about the transition from a farmer with an 800 acre farm and a passion for nothing else but farming suddenly having to shift focus after working to recover from a devastating back injury to becoming a tinsmith after meeting a man who had been a tinsmith all his life and wanted to teach someone the trade before he was gone was more than just interesting.
A genuine case of "When one door closes another one opens. You just have to see it."

Thank you both for a wonderful visit and all your kindness to someone you had never met. Thank you to the old Silverbear for introducing us. We both had hours of watching Dan build the copper tool box for the Hiawatha.
Moments of pure joy watching a craftsman at his trade.

Steve.

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
I left bike camp at 10:30 A.M. Wednesday and arrived here at home 9 P.M. Friday covering about 1,900 miles. Right into the hospital today {Saturday} to find out the definitely has been gotten rid of bone infection that landed me in the hospital last October and had me on antibiotics for 9 months has returned even worse than it was then.
So far they want me into the hospital twice a day for intravenous antibiotics but we will see how long that lasts before they decide that I have to go in full time like last time.

Not the perfect ending to bike camp for sure.

Steve.
Oh Steve I am so sorry to read that the infection is back. I will be keeping you in my prayers my friend.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hi Anne,

Thank you. I'm on IV Therapy which seems to be where you sit on a chair in the hallway that has a hook installed above it that they hang the bag on. :) Seems to be working a treat as a lot of the nasty bits have started to disappear and are being replace with areas of near normality and colour. This is of course unless your natural colour is a flaming scarlet red.

Thank Heavens for decent self control since this has been one itchy ride and the recurring dream of a carefully applied piece of 40 grit glass paper has run rampant through my mind on numerous occasions.

Steve.