Losing my Little Bud....

GoldenMotor.com

cosmickid

Sep 11, 2011
planet earth
drn2

I'm learning a sad lesson....
I said to a friend the other day that just about everything that could go wrong has...
Oh! Foolish Me.

I won't go into the details of the rest of the things that have fallen into the **** hole lately, but my heart is breaking at the thought of having to take my Little Bud into the Vet's tomorrow and send him across the Rainbow Bridge. Over the weekend he went off his food, eating for him was one of his pleasures in life. Monday morning he started limping on one of his hind legs. I took him into the Vet and had him checked out, the Vet said he had terrible news.. the Boy had a tumor half the size of his heart attached to it, his liver was 4 times the normal size and his lungs were 2/3 full of water and his small intestine had a blockage. Yes, they prescribed med's but they're not helping.
He's a true Stoic, if he hadn't gone off his food & started limping I'd of never known that he had problems.
Up until this past weekend he was a Fat & Happy Boy.
He hid his pain from me and now I suffer the pain of losing a Friend who was the Most Gentile Creature I have ever known.
I don't want to send him along, but, I can now see in his eyes that he is suffering & the last thing I want in this world is for Him to suffer.
I truly wish there were something, anything else in this Universe that I could do to heal him, but I know that is beyond my ken.
If you all would, please say a prayer for my little guy, Koda.

Dave

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
This is one of the few times that words fail me other than to say that dwell all the good times and not the parting. You are the best pal he had.

Prayers on the way.

Steve.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Dave,
My heart is breaking. I've lost friends, parents and family but the loss of a pet is a hurt like no other.
My most sincere condolences. May he rest in peace. The memories will come but they'll bring pain for a while. Then, one day, you'll laugh at the good ones. I promise.

Tom

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I feel your pain. I don't like to think about the day that my little Moosh and I will say goodbye... such a good friend and companion. Sometimes I think the love we feel for a dog is more pure and simple than any we can have with a person.
Wishing Koda well on his journey home,
SB

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Try to remember all the joy and love he gave you and always know he had a great life with a loving person to care for him.

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
I know your pain, CosmicKid. Just love Koda all you can while you can, and be with him when you both say "so long buddy".

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
You're welcome.

You know there's only one cure for what ails ya. Cinder & I think you need to get another dog.

My old girl will be 14 this year and she don't have much time left. After she goes, I'm gonna do a little traveling and then I'm gonna get another dog.

Once you have lived with dogs you are forever committed to living with dogs. Good for the people and good for the dogs.

Take it direct from the dog, she ain't gonna lie to ya!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Ten years and three months. Doesn't sound like a long time but when you're with him almost 24/7 the loss can be worse than you can describe.

Baxter, my Goldsen Retriever buddy left us yesterday. He was my bud, my very best friend and always there, near me and my constant companion. We did so many things togther; from bringing in the mail to getting the grill ready for cooking to reading books. He was always within arms reach and always ready for my touch.

I miss him more than I can say.
My wife and I don't have children. Our dogs were/are a part of our lives. Now we have to deal with our grief as well as the little girl, Flori, a bewildered little dog who spent her whole life with Baxter. She whines and looks for him and it breaks my heart.

People who don't have pets will never understand. Those who have them and love them will.
Rest in peace my good boy, my Baxter boy, my big guy. Dad loves you.

Tom

Attachments

Mean.motor

Mar 14, 2014
Brampton, ON
The pain in my throat hurts too much to think about what i can say to make things better for you and your pals guys, i have a zoo of animals myself. (2 cats, fish, shrimp, gerbals, even my plants) . As the tears run down my face right now just know i am there with you and you and your pals are not alone and these tears are for you. Godbless. Sorry to all on this post who have lost some friends and Tom sorry to hear about your loss..flg.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Sorry for your loss Tom. Not a day goes by that i don't think of all the dogs that have brought love and pleasure into my home.

Take comfort in knowing Baxter lived a good life. He was well taken care of by a family that loves him.

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Tom,
I looked at Baxter's picture and feel for you. He was a beautiful dog on the outside and no doubt even more beautiful on the inside. Those of us who share our lives with our dogs understand.

I'm not married anymore, my kids are now middle aged adults and my dog and I make up my household. We are companions and have been together for the past seven years. (In some states that would make her my common law wife.) When we first got to know each other she was a scared little rescue dog and I was coming to grips with the aftermath of an encounter with lightning and subsequent crippling with Guillane Barre (like polio). I was disabled, no longer employed and adjusting to divorce from my third wife. We spent a long first winter together in an uninsulated little cabin in the forest fending off the deep freeze with half dry firewood. We shared food and a whole lot of time together near the wood stove. I recall awakening in the night mid winter to a little "woof" nearby. "What is it Aaniimoosh?" A little louder "woof". Is there something out there? "Now a more hearty "woof". I listened and then heard it... timber wolves howling to each other and perhaps to the moon. I said, "did you hear a wolf?" "WOOOF" She did. My little friend wanted me to know. Good girl. I still laugh a bit when I think of that. So many good times there have been with her riding shotgun in the pickup truck, fishing together, walking in the woods, just being near each other hanging out as I work on something or read a book. She's always there, always watching me, making eye contact. Wags her tail a bit if I look at her and when she's excited she grins which always makes me grin, too. And just about the best is her riding next to me in the canoe sidecar, wearing her doggles and watching the road ahead for wildlife.

I've had a lot of family and friends through the years, wives and lovers and other dogs, but nothing like this compares. I wasn't alone before. I wasn't an old man. I wasn't with my dog virtually all the time. This is something special and new to me. And it scares the **** out of me.

When I first got her as a rescue dog I figured we might last about the same length of time, but now we're getting to where she may not have that many years left and I'll likely still be here. I read your note, Tom, and look at Baxter's picture and can not help relating your experience to the one I'm going to have. And I'm sad for myself already, feeling your pain and loss. My eyes well up a bit in anticipation of that loss. All the more reason to be grateful right now for the deep love and camaraderie we know with our best four legged friends. My most sincere condolence, Tom. He was a good boy, Baxter was.
SB

Last edited: