Where are all the new 2-stroke motor kits?

GoldenMotor.com

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I don't know about the rest of you, but I can't find any good motor kits at a reasonable price if at all!

It's pretty hard to make a living building these things when I can't get a motor kit!
I prefer 2010 or newer Skyhawk kits but at this point I'll take most anything decent delivered for under $200.
Any ideas?

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
These kits are no longer going to be $139, and I think that's something we're just going to have to accept. $180 for a BGF motor is still pretty inexpensive.

Thatsdax is selling 69cc engine kits for $224.99, and they're pretty reputable so paying the extra means better support. Duane there does a good job.

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
There are other kits on ebay other than BGF.

Rawmotors.com is still selling kits, albeit at inflated prices. Their customer service sucks, but people are still receiving their kits and Raw motors tend to be pretty good.

Last I saw, gasbike.net was still selling kits.

The number of retailers has been thinned out, but there are still plenty of ways to get HT engine kits.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Gasbike/Kings still have all their Grubee kit ads up, but when you get to check-out they say out of stock, it has been that way for over a month.

As for E-Pay I won't use it, Pfftt, there may be good sellers there but the whole E-bay thing turned to crap years ago in my opinion.

I looked at RAW earlier today, $199+shipping and a 1/2 gallon tank. They look the old Flying Horse kits to me but then again kits differ all the time.
I'll look at DAX again, thanks guys.

Drewd

Jul 25, 2008
Colorado
I'd wait a couple of months into winter to pick an engine up. Demand should be down and vendors will probably offer deep discounts.

If you can't wait and can afford it, get a Dax. Although my Dax is a bit down in power compared to other brands it has proven itself to be smoother running and very reliable and seems to take longer to break in (which is a good thing meaning it is built tight and should last longer in my opinion). If I buy another 2 stroke, it'll be a Dax. I'm fortunate that I can save a little $$ by only buying the block since I have tons of spare parts on hand.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Thanks guys.
I have a couple of 4-strokers to build so I'm OK but I'll try a DAX if I get 2-stroke order in.

The Hub

Aug 20, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I have been very pleased with my Z2-80 kit from BGF. Its a good quality motor, has a nice steel sleeve, chrome exhaust and a bunch of extra parts. I got two fuel filters, one was bunk, so it worked out. I also got some extra mount kits for free. All in all, a very reliable setup with a quality ngk plug, quick starts in the cold too. Guess I got lucky, for now that is...

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
I buy nothing but BGF kits for my builds and have been completely satisfied with the products he supplies.

donb4103

Oct 7, 2011
Chickasha,Oklahoma
I buy almost all of my kits from BGF and I buy a lot of small parts from BikeBerry when he has his 50% off sales and free shipping over $100. I buy a ton of stuff when he has those sales. I have only had problems with 2 engines that I have bought. One was from LuckEarlyBird on Ebay and the other was from live fast motors.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
BGF Kits are as good as any in my opinion, I've had good luck with all but one engine, I've seen on here that a lemon can be had with any "BRAND" Kit and as it has been pointed out many many times.... they're all crap shoots that all come from the same place, ( an old run down building/factory with bad conditions employing good people for very low pay that do the best they can with the poor quality material and tools they have to work with and just like people anywhere you go, some of them just do enough to get by and others go the extra mile and actually try to get most things done right )

Have I been there? NO

But people are basically the same everywhere so I figure these reasons are why we can get good and bad from all of the "BRANDS", some maybe more or less than others but all a crap shoots just the same.

The oldest and highest mile engine I have looks just like the engines that Duane (Thatsdax) sells, it has 6mm jug studs, straight plug head and has over 1,300 miles on it and still running like a champ, I just wish BGF and others still sold this particular engine, it has been a real good one.

KCvale, as for the Ebay thing, I really dont know why anyone would be scared or bothered by Ebay, I've been buying and selling on there for years, yes the fees and such are not as good as it used to be, but with a PayPal account a purchase is so simple and trouble free that there isnt any reason to shy away from it in my opinion.
Ebay has always taken good care of me on all my purchases and the couple times I met up with a seller who misadvertised the product, Ebay set it straight in just a few days for me and I got ALL my money back, very pleased personally with all my dealings on Ebay even though it isn't as cheap to sell on there as it used to be.

Hope the rebuild works out great for ya Biknut, let us know how the balancing stuff pans out too, I'm curious on that one.

Peace, map

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
I had a great call today, the local distributor here has motors in stock again, and wanted to know if I still wanted a stack, so early next week I'm off to pick up 3 black and 2 silver motor kits. Now I just need some more bikes to put them on...... ;)