Good Throttle + cable

GoldenMotor.com

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
my stock throttle broke, so i got a Sik50s Billet Throttle off ebay for 30 bucks with free shipping.

i had to gorilla glue the stock grip on, but it works great, real simple, and you don't need a hole in your handlebar.

much better response, although it's a little loose.

only drawback is it doesn't have a kill switch. so i just my old busted one, took out the plastic tube, cut the plastic lock pin out, and mounted it next to the new throttle.

for me, it's only temporary. my next bike's gonna have a thumb throttle.

Attachments

bseelbach

Jul 19, 2009
USA
I have had good luck with a metal thumb throttle from Ebay for $12 delivered. The entire housing and innards are metal so it is not susceptible to the normal wear of the factory throttles. I made a new throttle cable for a couple of bucks following Norm's posts. An extra reflector bracket, $2 switch from Radio Shack and some black lamp wire works great as a kill switch.

Attachments

bseelbach

Jul 19, 2009
USA
No- I couldn't figure out what threads were on the throttle assembly and the supplier offered little help. I ended up using a dremmel to virtually remove the 'threads' on the inside of of the throttle housing to make a press fit for an adjuster screw.

Go slow and you should be fine. Adjuster screws come in two diameter sizes from local bike shops. Aim for the smaller diameter and settle for the larger if you grind too much.

Stock throttle cable is the wrong length for the thumb throttle. I followed Norms post but I think after I I hooked it up to the thumb throttle and left in a neutral position, I made the other end 49mm off from the cable housing.

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
i haven't used one on a bike yet, but have on old ATC's, and i like that your grip's not moving around. you're not constantly twisting, and you can maintain a firm hold on your bike.

in emergency situations, like running into cars, my first reaction is to clamp down on my grips, and with a twist throttle, you could still be fully on the gas.

with a thumb throttle, you'd take your thumb off, and grab onto the grip.

the first (and so far, only) time i hit a car that turned in front of me, i was still full throttle as i banked offa her car. i didn't crash, but i was still on the gas the whole time.

iit's all up to whatever feels right to you.

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
No- I couldn't figure out what threads were on the throttle assembly and the supplier offered little help. I ended up using a dremmel to virtually remove the 'threads' on the inside of of the throttle housing to make a press fit for an adjuster screw.

Go slow and you should be fine. Adjuster screws come in two diameter sizes from local bike shops. Aim for the smaller diameter and settle for the larger if you grind too much.

Stock throttle cable is the wrong length for the thumb throttle. I followed Norms post but I think after I I hooked it up to the thumb throttle and left in a neutral position, I made the other end 49mm off from the cable housing.

yeah, that's what i figured. i'm sure i can rig it. and i've got no probs with shortening the cable. i'm using compressionless "Jagwire" brake cables now, modified to fit.

thanks for the info...