Quality bike mirror

GoldenMotor.com

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
I need a site where I can buy a good convex mirror for my left side, the one I have is a piece of crap and all the ones Ive found so far seem to be the same. I also need it to be lengthy because of the shifter and brake setup on the left side handle bar. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Bandito,
I tried a couple of aftermarket mirrors too and couldn't find what I wanted so I made my own. One, on a set of mountain bike streight bars simply attaches to the end of the left grip. The other on cruiser bars was made from junk; top from a rib rub can, some 1/4" chrome rod and a 7/8" shaft collar. Both work like a charm. No vibration and I can see what's coming up from behind with just a glance. Both are made from cheap 3" convex spot mirrors available at any hardware, auto parts store. Use your imagination. Where in Colorado are you?
Tom

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
Whats a rib rub can? Do you have a pic of the mirror? How is the 1/4 inch rod attached? By 7/8 shaft collar do you mean just a hollow 7/8 thin walled tube?

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
I have actually had really good results with the cheap plastic one from Ace Hardware that inserts into the end of the handlebar.

Rockenstein

Feb 8, 2009
Ontario, Canada
If you wear a helmet try one of the little 3rd Eye mirrors. I have mine attached to my helmet with good quality RC servo tape and there is no vibration problems plus the field of view is amazing...want to see more? Just move your head a little :)

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
The best ones that I've tried are motorcycle ones that fit on the end of your handlebars. I only use one on my left bar. I got mine from Cycle Gear in San Jose. I paid almost $50 for a pair

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Bandito,
LOL, sorry, I guess I should have said "a small metal can", something like shoe polish comes in only taller. Rib Rub...spices for cooking ribs on the grill. I'm at work right now and don't have photos here to post but I do have a couple at home. I'll put them up later.
Tom.
I have actually had really good results with the cheap plastic one from Ace Hardware that inserts into the end of the handlebar.
Fin,
Do you mean the ones with the little flexable neck? That was what I used for the mountain bike but I took off the flexable part and ran a 3/8" bolt through the end of my grip and attached the mirror head to it. Never moves, shakes or vibrates.
Tom

ThatPerson

May 11, 2009
Southport, NC
I went and bought a cheap Bell mirror with a bendy arm and modded it with 3/8" rod. It's up higher and I can see very well with no vibration.

The first one is what it looks like when you get it, the second is what I did to it. It was quite simple.

Attachments

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I ended up settling on a bar end mirror from niagara. Im always leaning the bike against walls or posts and was leary of a bar end mirror cuzz I might damage it. Oh well Ill just need to be more carefull with it. To me its important to see behind me cuzz if a cars behind me I need to see what that cars doing or if hes going to turn right etc. The piece of crap mirror I have now is USELESS! lLive and learn $8.00 mistake. The new one is convex too and that will help plus its rectangular and not round to give me a wider field of view.