Hello, extreme newbie needing advice here!

GoldenMotor.com

wichwitch

Aug 15, 2008
Hello,
I stumbled across this site while researching the possibility of adding a motor to my cruiser bike. I need something for a short commute to my local rail station, but they do not allow scooters or mopeds on the train.
As a middle aged grandmother, I could not lift one onto the train even if they did!

My bike is extremely lightweight for a cruiser, about 22 lbs, so even with a motor added I could still lift and take it with me.
But I am not sure if a motor would work with my bike, so I am hoping to get some practicle advice and suggestions here.
I am open to the idea of purchasing another bike to motorize if need be, but my 1st choice would be my current one (hey, it's cute).
I am in Texas, so would have to stay at 49cc, but my commute is less than 2 miles on side roads, so that is enough power for me.
My son-in-law is a motorcycle mechanic, my son does custom paint and bodywork, and my husband is a longtime flatland rider and overall bike genius, so I will have no issues with installation and upkeep.
I have attached pictures of my bike.
Any suggestions? And thank you in advance!

Attachments

Radmanfly

Jul 28, 2008
Oswego, NY
www.farleysradiator.com
Wow that is nice! I say when there's a will there's a way. With all that talent you got backing you up, nothing's impossible. Send them each a link to this site and they will catch the fever....next thing you know, your bike will be a featured story! Thanks for the inspiration...someone on here can get you started....don't let them tell you it can't be done...good luck!

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
WICHWITCH, WELCOME TO THE FORUM. YOU WILL GET MANY REPLIES. EVERYBODY HERE WILL HELP YOU, A NICE GROUP OF PEOPLE, OVER 1000 MEMBERS ALL OVER THE USA AND OTHER COUNTRYS.I THINK A FRICTION DRIVE SYSTEM WOULD WORK FINE FOR YOU, SIMPLE, BASICALY TROUBLE FREE. INSTALL IN LESS THAN AN HOUR. YOU WILL NEED TO REMOVE OR SHORTEN YOUR REAR FENDER. IT TAKES LESS THAN 1 HOUR TO INSTALL. "livefastmotors" auctions a friction drive on ebay motors. i got one for $199. plus $73. shipping. they have different styles, chain dr etc. I RECOMENT THE FRICTION FOR YOU. THEY HAVE BUY IT NOW AT $272. PLUS SHIPPING $73. THEY HAVE THE AUCTION STARTING AT $199. IT TAKES ABOUT A WEEK TO GET IT. EVERYTHING YOU NEED BUT GAS & OIL MIX AND YOUR BIKE. I PUT KITS TOGETHER TO SELL LOCALLY, COST ME ALMOST $100 MORE TO ASSEMBLE A KIT. THERE IS MANY OPTIONS AVAILABLE, ENOUGH TO CONFUSE ANYBODY. :crash: :ride2: RON

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
Welcome to the forum. That is a nice bike. A rack mount bicycle motor would work on that type bike. A center frame mount would take serious modification. Glad you joined us................................

wichwitch

Aug 15, 2008
Welcome to the forum. That is a nice bike. A rack mount bicycle motor would work on that type bike. A center frame mount would take serious modification. Glad you joined us................................
Thank you so much to everyone for your replies!
Ilikeabikea, what is a "rack mount" motor?
Could you send links so that I could see examples?
I'm sorry, but I really am an "extreme newbie" and rather clueless.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
for weight to power, go with a weedeater lol... Got to get my plug in. it is the easiest to install and not much to do maintenance wise and if there is take it to a lawn mower shop.

I should have my easy to use directions out in a couple of weeks sorry I don't have them now. It sounds like your people wouldn't need them anyway. I would expect your biggest problem with be getting it onto the train.

Last edited:

wichwitch

Aug 15, 2008
Thank you for your replies everyone!
Several have suggested electric.
Thank you to Radmanfly for the link.
Does anyone have information on an electric motor that could be added to my bike? Is this even possible?
I could probably get away with a gas motor. I live in a large Dallas suburb, right next to DFW Airport in fact, and I don't think the police would mess with me. I have consulted 3 police officers (lots of them use the train too!), and they all seem to be of the opinion that Federal laws would apply to a 49cc motor, since there are no specific Texas laws in regards to a gas motor powered bicycle. But they also say it would be up to the mood and opinion of the officer were I to get stopped.
I don't wanna be an outlaw granny on a pink bike!!!
I have not ruled it out, but I would like be informed about both options.
Thank you so much!

Radmanfly

Jul 28, 2008
Oswego, NY
www.farleysradiator.com
Thank you for your replies everyone!
Several have suggested electric.
Thank you to Radmanfly for the link.
Does anyone have information on an electric motor that could be added to my bike? Is this even possible?
I could probably get away with a gas motor. I live in a large Dallas suburb, right next to DFW Airport in fact, and I don't think the police would mess with me. I have consulted 3 police officers (lots of them use the train too!), and they all seem to be of the opinion that Federal laws would apply to a 49cc motor, since there are no specific Texas laws in regards to a gas motor powered bicycle. But they also say it would be up to the mood and opinion of the officer were I to get stopped.
I don't wanna be an outlaw granny on a pink bike!!!
I have not ruled it out, but I would like be informed about both options.
Thank you so much!
Hi W/W,

I sent you that link to show you a bike that is considered state of the art that uses the newest electric motor/ battery technology and is "mass produced- even though one at a time". Heck, they even finance the purchase for you. They get pretty costly but maybe it's worth it to stay legal.

I have seen complete e-bikes pretty reasonable here and there ,target.com and walmart.com.

I know there are components and maybe even entire kits on ebay. I have seen the motor and mount kit but it was without battery and speed control.

Make sure you do your homework if you are considering buying one complete or putting one on your bike. Not to dissuade you, it's clear you have a skilled team behind you to help you with the build, it's just that I am not familiar with them and you may be disappointed unless you really study up on them. I know there are lots of complaints about battery longevity and range.

Food for thought.

Beachbikeron has some subaru/robin kits (rack mount type), check out his stuff. Very nice and reliable setup.

Scott

jf30cp

Jun 23, 2008
a 2 stoke happy time engine will not fit in that bike. look into a 4 stroke rack mount or a weed eater type engine. lots of options tho really. look at these sites.
1. thatsdax.com
2. kingsmotorbikes
3. bicycle-engins.com