Hello from Austin,Tx - Need bike info please

GoldenMotor.com

michelledigsarrows

Aug 14, 2008
Hello to all you bike wheeling folks out there!

Just got a 66cc? epa blah blah kit from the Fedex guy, but I quess it won't fit on my 18in mountian bike

I got the "No drill" kit.. and now I need a bike ! Ahh!

Can anyone tell me a cheap one at walmart that will work??

and WOW... ALOT of pieces!!!!! Might need a hand or 5 putting this together! This lady bit off more that I can put together it looks like! ahh!

Michelle

PS PLEASE mail me with help !! I could use it!

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
hey Michelle, welcome aboard
there is a ton of info on this site and the folks will always help people with their problems too.
So, if you can't find the answer you need, feel free to ask and someone will help you.
good luck and happy motoring

michelledigsarrows

Aug 14, 2008
Thanks for the reply

I have a 18 in mountian bike.. and I quess this kit wont kit.. so now I have to buy a new bike TO put it on..... I want something cheap// Walmart is where I will be looking.. I just want to know WHICH bike will work with this kit

Michelle

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
most any standard 26" cruiser, comfort, or mountain bike with a triangular frame between the seat and the handle bars will do. You really want a mens so you will have a place for the gas tank.

All my bikes come from the thrift store so I can't really give you any model names.

Radmanfly

Jul 28, 2008
Oswego, NY
www.farleysradiator.com
Hi Michelle,

I just saw a Huffy Beach Cruiser at Wal-Mart for I think $92 bucks. This is a retro bike with no suspension and no brakes besides the coaster brake. (pedal backwards) I have heard good and bad about them, on the good side- they're cheap and popular! On the bad, It's not the bike your Daddy used to own.

I decided to buy one because I like the retro look and wanted the heavy frame and happened to find one on ebay for $50.00 plus $29.00 shipping. Mine came with a slightly bent front rim due to the poor packaging probably. (see pic) And like you, I just got my 66cc epa kit delivered a few days ago and started installing it. I will tell you what problems I have been having with it in case you or anyone else is considering it:

1) Front mount on engine....too small for the bike, need to make your own from a 1 1/2" muffler clamp welded to the 3 hole steel bracket in your kit. Let me know if you want, I can send you a pic and a drawing perhaps to help you get it right the first time.

2) Chain rubs tire. An oversized white wall tire comes with this bike, most people replace it with a thinner tire but I am trying to find a way to retain the original tires. I will refer you to the thread where that discussion is going on now: http://motorbicycling.com/f3/sprocket-wobble-2817.html

3) Chain rubs fender. I had to remove the rear fender and flatten it a bit for clearance. Had to use a hammer and an anvil because these fenders are thin but surprisingly tough.

4) This has nothing to do with the bike but all the fasteners including the studs to mount the engine, carb and exhaust, and especially the decorative chrome acorn nuts that come with your engine kit look great but they are junk. Consider replacing them with grade 5 or better fasteners. I am planning on doing mine over the winter since I got too anxious and now it's all just about together.

5) Instructions? What instructions? The best thing you can do is spend a few hours searching and reading these forums. (Luckily it's fun and addictive!)

As you can see, I painted my kit to match the bike. Other bikes have a front brake which I am planning to add asap. Consider suspension and front disc if you can afford it. Makes a big difference on ride and safety. Good luck, and let us know what you decide on. -Scott

Attachments

Last edited:

michelledigsarrows

Aug 14, 2008
Hello !

I really appreciate the replys! I KNOW now that this goes WAY beyond what I think I could do for myself... NO directions.. and I am not that mechanical ... I will by a bike that I am sure will work.. But how I will ever get this thing installed is beyond me!

Anyone in austin, tx trade beer for a install????????????

Michelle

Radmanfly

Jul 28, 2008
Oswego, NY
www.farleysradiator.com
Hey Michelle,
I did find my online pdf. file instruction manual (did they email one to you?) I almost forgot about it. It's way way better than what came with the kit. I tried to post it here but it exceeds the limit...email me if you need a copy. -Scott

Jstude

Jul 3, 2008
South Carolina
Michelle, If you haven't run out and bought a bike yet, take a moment to check out some of your local RV dealers. Many of them sell cruiser style bicycles for their customers to haul around in their motor homes. I saw some very nice ones at a local RV dealer for as low as $70. They looked nicer than the ones at wal mart and appeared to have been put together better. I have very fond memories of Austin. I was stationed there in the Air Force in 1967. Then Uncle Sam gave me a free trip to Southeast Asia. Surely, there is someone in Austin you can make friends with who could help you get the bike built!

michelledigsarrows

Aug 14, 2008
Good idea on the "Used" bike..

I looked at a cruzer at Walmart.. Now I am scared to buy it! SO CONFUSED!! I read that the tires would hit the chain and I would have to change them to smaller tires???? AhH! Thats the whole reason I was looking at it was for the larger tires!!!!!! ahh!

I will be needing alot, maybe too much, help if I am ever going to get this build off the ground! ahh!

Michelle

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i used a walmart bike with the big tires and the chain was close but had no problem with the chain hitting the tires. you just need to take your time putting everything togather

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
about the install, if you have a digital camera (most folks do) and if your mechanical skills are about my level (pretty close to non existant) I would suggest a mentor who is willing to sit with you on one of the instant messengers and walk you through it. AFTER you have read the tips here of course.

Trust me ask don't guess.....

You could email the beer I suppose but it would probably be flat...

Last edited:

michelledigsarrows

Aug 14, 2008
Well .. I just sat the engine up to the frame , with and without the mounts and it just won;t fit on the frame that I have right now... The "Universal" mount, well, that just makes it fit WORSE because it brings it even taller than before.. and I would never be able to change the spark plug either! heh

I will look for another frame or just chunk the whole idea!

Thanks yall
Michelle

Motoschwinn

Jun 27, 2008
Independence MO
Hello to all you bike wheeling folks out there!

Just got a 66cc? epa blah blah kit from the Fedex guy, but I quess it won't fit on my 18in mountian bike

I got the "No drill" kit.. and now I need a bike ! Ahh!

Can anyone tell me a cheap one at walmart that will work??

and WOW... ALOT of pieces!!!!! Might need a hand or 5 putting this together! This lady bit off more that I can put together it looks like! ahh!

Michelle

PS PLEASE mail me with help !! I could use it!
I would suggest the Schwinn Point Beach. A really easy install. I got mine together in less than a afternoon. I wouldn't go used, as I found that when I tried the used route, spokes broke, and other problems.

Attachments