Has anyone used the new Wheelset by one of the forums advertisers?

GoldenMotor.com

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
If sprockets are interchangeable you could cut the center out of a old one for spacing,or any kind of round donuts to space it out,with longer bolts..............Curt
I think the actual mounting of the gas drive sprocket is based on a 6 hole ISO universal measurement ... so, you would need to find a source for this, ( maybe kings sales and service . com ), or you would have to figure out a way to have your standard chinese sprocket cnc machined to fit ...

add: I think this vendor only offers a 44 tooth (gas drive) sprocket, which is included.

Last edited:

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Also thinking if one got out of wack, one could put it on some blocking and press it back to shape,with a jack or something. Providing it was not to bad,i have done regular aluminum bike wheels that way and worked good................Curt

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
Well, I have a grubee 4 stroke with a bmp FD kit that has been sitting for 2 years. Im going to clean it up, touch it up, clean the tank and carb, true my existing rims and see if I still have the bug to do this again as a hobby, then i'll decide on whether or not to invest the money in this wheelset.

Thanks all for your interest and input on this thread.

Happy and Safe Riding! :)

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I'm still tempted to buy a set of these since I ride on smooth pavement anyway... I just don't like giving my money to King's or Gasbike. There are a few good deals on these on ebay and they also have some better looking ones so I might go that route if I can find the right set and they don't cost too much more...

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
I'm still tempted to buy a set of these since I ride on smooth pavement anyway... I just don't like giving my money to King's or Gasbike. There are a few good deals on these on ebay and they also have some better looking ones so I might go that route if I can find the right set and they don't cost too much more...
Yes, but if I understand correctly, its $129.00 shipped, with a 44 tooth drive sprocket. I dont think you'll find a better deal, but if you find the same set (with a drive sprocket thats made for it) and the wheelset looks better, please share the info with the forum. Thank you. :)

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
The wheelset I like cost about $188 on ebay but I can get other sets for around $150 for both wheels. These won't come with the sprocket but the sprockets can be drilled for the 6 holes or a hat adapter can be used so any 9 hole sprocket can be bolted on and I'd perfer using the hat adapter since a sprocket change would go fast and easy, but also it gives me the choice of sprocket size, tho I do prefer the 44T myself and just make the engine faster to get more speed, but it is nice to be able to have the ability to change sprockets with what's already readily available.
This is the wheelset I'm looking at for my mountain bike on ebay... http://www.ebay.com/itm/26-MTB-Moun...-Speed-/191594841482?var=&hash=item2c9bf1458a
If you search "bicycle mag wheels" on ebay you'll get a good amount of results and be able to see the different styles.. There's another really cool looking set with 5 split spokes but they do cost a bit more, most the 6 spoke ones either with curved or straight spokes tend to cost close to the same.

Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
Excuse me folks, but did anyone look at the pics on gasbike? That's very clearly a nine hole sprocket mounted up... Unless I missed something important in grade school...

Aug 17, 2011
Springfield IL.
The wheelset I like cost about $188 on ebay but I can get other sets for around $150 for both wheels. These won't come with the sprocket but the sprockets can be drilled for the 6 holes or a hat adapter can be used so any 9 hole sprocket can be bolted on and I'd perfer using the hat adapter since a sprocket change would go fast and easy, but also it gives me the choice of sprocket size, tho I do prefer the 44T myself and just make the engine faster to get more speed, but it is nice to be able to have the ability to change sprockets with what's already readily available.
This is the wheelset I'm looking at for my mountain bike on ebay... http://www.ebay.com/itm/26-MTB-Moun...-Speed-/191594841482?var=&hash=item2c9bf1458a
If you search "bicycle mag wheels" on ebay you'll get a good amount of results and be able to see the different styles.. There's another really cool looking set with 5 split spokes but they do cost a bit more, most the 6 spoke ones either with curved or straight spokes tend to cost close to the same.
Dave, I like the wheels in the ebay link you have provided!
How about a link to the "5 split spoke" wheels?

Last edited:

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Excuse me folks, but did anyone look at the pics on gasbike? That's very clearly a nine hole sprocket mounted up... Unless I missed something important in grade school...
I see 9 holes with 6 bolts close to the rim,that being said it would be easy to lay that sprocket on another and drill mounting holes..............Curt

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
While I have no experience with these larger rims, I can speak about mags in general due to TONS of experience in my BMX days.
As far as metal rims go, you CAN true them up to a point. Small wobbles are easy to fix with a bit of careful bending.
HOWEVER, any out of round (egg shape) or denting in the bead area is the kiss of death, and it's not as hard as you might think to egg one enough to notice. They tend to flat spot between spoke if hit hard. Avoid jumping off curbs like you would on a spoked rim....
All that being said, I think they are a great way to avoid spoke issues for a motorbike. I would run them in a second given the means..... Just keep them on the ground.