A little less air?

GoldenMotor.com

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
Hello! I've got a Schwinn Cruiser, and in the quest for the perfect tire, I've found: Serfas HTKB-38 Survivor Vida Hybrid Tire. In a 26 X 1.25, they call for 80 PSI.
What do you think of these tires at 60 PSI as an around town pressure? A little softer maybe, a little more grip, odd wear patterns etc:)

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I always assemble my rear wheel with the valve stem leaning into the drive direction so I can easily see when to reset the tire on the rim by watching the valve stem. When it gets straight, I let the air out and reset it.
I lost several tubes to valve stem failure before I started doing this. It can happen very quickly if the pressure gets too low or if you don't keep an eye on it.
Certain tires are more prone to this. I tried running a Bontrager kevlar flat resistant tire for awhile but it was impossible to keep it from slipping no matter the pressure due to thin flexible sidewalls. I now run cheap thick hard mountainbike tires from parts bikes and have much less trouble. I get them off cheapo parts bikes and usually have several laying around. The harder cheapo tires wear much better than good soft grippy tires, and I'm not road racing so I don't need better traction.

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
Well, I found these; Panaracer Comet Hardpack 26 X 2.1, for $18 ea. on ebay. They look really good to me. Mostly around town, but there's gravel everywhere here. Looks like I can get a grip, but still ride/ corner smooth.
I'm going to try these with liners, at their recommended PSI and see how that goes. Have to get a little skinnier than the 26 X 2.125 that are on there now, to eliminate worry over chain-slap. Hoped to keep a little cushion.
Time to get a seat and post 'suspension'!

Thanks for the replies- been helpful!