v brake adapter

GoldenMotor.com

beentryin

Apr 24, 2010
goshen,ohio
im trying to find out were to get the v brake adapter that bolts on.ive seen them but cant seem to find the post with a link

joabthebugman

Jun 21, 2010
ocoee fla
Plus the arms and pads

I thought it was a great idea till I started adding everything up
There's one for $9.99 below it that could adapted, but that would probably cost you over $10

But one thing I have noticed , as hard as I try to find them there are no good cheap brakes and the linear pull brakes are the best I have found in traditional pad type brake

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland
Here.s another way to go ..
Buy the braze on adapters here:

FRONT CANTI BOSS WITH 7mm OFFSET single cut :: SMALL PARTS :: BRAZONS-SMALL PARTS :: Nova Cycles Supply Inc.
They're $1.31 each

Read Sheldon Brown's section on brazing on the adapters here:
Installing Cantilever Brake Bosses

This might help you if you can find someone to weld or braze these on for you, other than that, you're buying the adapters from Dan's Comp.
By the way the $9 dollar adapter they is for the x brakes (900's)
Good luk,
TiM

joabthebugman

Jun 21, 2010
ocoee fla
yeah you're right about that plate and I like the bosses

It wouldn't be any cheaper for me,cause i don't weld but it would look cleaner

I wont scrimp on brakes at all but I can't afford to put them on every bike for people that want $300 budget builds

Any bike I build for me will always have the best brakes I can manage to shove in it
I was day dreaming the other day about a bike with a dual pull brake lever on both sides of the bars
One would be connected to a set of drum brakes on both front and rear and one would be connected to a set of disc front and rear, plus it would still have the coaster brake

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Get a set of Avid Mechanical disk brakes with 203 mm rotors. You will never ever need any thing else. They can throw you clean of the bike if you just wanted to try to. There fade feel and over all user adjustment is flawless. They work perfectly in the rain too. I am a big guy and their pads last me easily up to 7000 miles so far.

beentryin

Apr 24, 2010
goshen,ohio
Get a set of Avid Mechanical disk brakes with 203 mm rotors. You will never ever need any thing else. They can throw you clean of the bike if you just wanted to try to. There fade feel and over all user adjustment is flawless. They work perfectly in the rain too. I am a big guy and their pads last me easily up to 7000 miles so far.
do they have weld on mounts?

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
No they don't your metallurgy has to come into place here and you make your own that is what I did. I simply locked the caliper into it proper place spot welded mine in then welded them in more good er. This bike weighed a bunch and I as well the brakes worked awesome!!

recumbentbill

Jul 5, 2009
millington tn
v brake adapter on my CranBrook

I just got through installing the V brake adapter on my huffy cranbrook. I had all of the brake[sram] parts laying around the shop. Aside from buying the adapter all I will need to buy is the noodle. Its got to be better than the crummy caliper brake that I had

Attachments

joabthebugman

Jun 21, 2010
ocoee fla
Re: v brake adapter on my CranBrook

I just got through installing the V brake adapter on my huffy cranbrook. I had all of the brake[sram] parts laying around the shop. Aside from buying the adapter all I will need to buy is the noodle. Its got to be better than the crummy caliper brake that I had
Night and day
I just built a second Point Beach. The first had the typical caliper brakes, which stopped OK enough
The second has the linear pull brake and the first time I hit them, pre motorization, I was thrown forward in the seat

beentryin

Apr 24, 2010
goshen,ohio
i went with the disk brake on the front.got a bracket from venicemotorbikes installed it and it bent and destroyed my rotor so i took it off and used it as a template to make one out of a thicker piece of metal it turned out good after spending more money on a new rotor