brakes

GoldenMotor.com

Detroit

May 19, 2010
Detroit
I don't know if there is a 'column' for discussion of brakes but I want to know more in this area.
These bikes are now moving faster than they were originally designed to and there has to be a good way to stop them.
I wonder what others do/have done to make their bikes more responsive when it comes to braking.
More 'home made' ideas would be great, as opposed to buying disc brake set ups.

Last edited:

city of angels

May 24, 2009
tucson az
i have a trike my brake system consist of a disk brake on rear and regular brakes on thefron cant afford disk brake for the front yet and let tell you this brakes will stop in a heart beat

Fabian

Sep 9, 2009
Australia - Melbourne
My application is almost commercial, as on occasions, i'm towing up to 165 lbs of weight with my custom built trailer.
Stopping that weight can cause some consternation, especially after travelling downhill for a period of time heating up the disk rotors, then pumping more energy into the system with a panic like stop.

I use an Avid BB7 caliper on the front, combined with an 8" Shimano disk rotor and on the rear, the standard Tektro caliper and 6" disk.
Without any trailer weight, the brakes are very good, but with 165 lbs pushing from behind the brakes are barely adequate.
Hydraulic brakes offer no advantage in my situation as it all comes down to how much heat the disk rotor can absorb before exceeding the temperature specification of the pad material.

I'm just beginning my search to see if someone can make me a 12" disk rotor and caliper mount adaptor for the front forks.
I'm figuring that machinists who manufacture custom, cast iron disk rotors for racing motorbikes would be the most knowledgeable and competent to manufacture a 12" rotor and caliper mount.

Fabian

Detroit

May 19, 2010
Detroit
Obviously brakes have to be one of the hardest DIY things do, but has anybody successfully made something that could be duplicated by others?
Just wondering.
Beyond that, I want to know what are some of the cheapest set ups that work well.
How can we get this thread to all of the members for input as to what they use, how well they work and how much they cost?

Thx guys.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i run a rear coaster and a front drum brake. i use the front 80% of the time, sometimes not even using the rear coaster at all.

the front won't lock up, and it won't flip me, so it's ideal for my cruiser.

my bike's always stopped when i needed it, even panic stops.

it's not a good idea to lock up the rear wheel, as hi speed skids are hard to control, unless you're doing it on purpose.

i practice avoidance. try to predict the future, assume every car is out to get you, every pedestrian will walk in front of you, and plan in advance.

the best brakes in the world still need to operate within the Newton's Law of Motion.