Make your performance perform?

GoldenMotor.com

The 26incher

Dec 19, 2009
Pepeekeo, HI
I know this is not new to most of us but I thought I would show the FNG's. The first thing I do with the stock intake is throw it in the trash but you could do the same with it. I know this is not perfect but it is much better than stock. All I did was try to match up the opening to the gasket. It has to flow better. Enjoy my grind work...

Attachments

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I wish Jim would also make a intake that is angled like the stock ones... The stock carbs are so cheesy that I really don't like running them so much out of level!

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Good work mate!

Looks like you got a good gasket. The one with my first engine was smaller than the diameter of a dime. Yikes.....restrictor exhaust racing.:(

Anyway as Ghosti0 says.....you can and should even do this with the little mani and Al gasket that comes with the Sick Pipe.

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
I do offer a better ported intake and had a thread going in this section. My thread was moved to the shop and swap section. I guess if I mention I am selling parts or talk about pricing then it becomes an add. I need to read the fine print. Anyway I will start shipping manifolds tomorrow and I can offer proper shaped intake and exhaust flanges as well, since I already have a bunch cut. If you have access to welding equipment you can use these flanges instead of grinding away.

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
I do offer a better ported intake and had a thread going in this section. My thread was moved to the shop and swap section. I guess if I mention I am selling parts or talk about pricing then it becomes an add. I need to read the fine print. Anyway I will start shipping manifolds tomorrow and I can offer proper shaped intake and exhaust flanges as well, since I already have a bunch cut. If you have access to welding equipment you can use these flanges instead of grinding away.
Wow if the aint a killer idea......Steel flanges????
Excellent...I wish I woulda known that cuz I would have ordered a couple of them with my order.....

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
sportscarpat,

That's a nice TIG welded intake you are offering!

But let's not create any confusion about better...it's just a different approach based on the equipment available.

I CNC machine a near perfect transition from the port shape in the jug to the I.D. of the carb opening. My intake is made out of Aluminum, and plenty thick at the flange so that the final port matching can be done, (by the customer), without any risk of running out of material.

The O-ring seal is very important...otherwise I would not have included it. A good seal between the intake and carb is critical...the o-ring, on the diameter, guarantees this positive seal. The clamp then becomes just that...A clamp to keep the carb from falling off...not a seal.

Of course I can make my intakes in any shape. I would make them like a crazy straw if it would make the engine run better...but the straight through design is the best for flow.

Jim

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Hi Jim and thanks,
Your a machinest and I am a welder. Two different approaches to a manifold. I run an approximate 18 degree angle between the cylinder and carb to compensate for the angle that the cylinder leans forward. Doing this ensures that the carb stays relatively flat so that the float functions correctly. Placing the carb up and back from the cylinder intake flange gives adequate clearence for the clutch linkage. The thin wall tube I use gives a .64" I.D. which I find to be much bigger than the stock aluminum manifolds. I flare the round tube into a rectangle shape at the flange for a smooth transition into the cylinder. Finally I am working with the CNS style carbs which have a rubber gasket in the base of the mounting throat of the carb. The CNS requires a tight seat againest the intake manifold to compress this gasket forming a seal. This carb therefore requires no o-ring on the outside of the manifold. Can't speak for the NT carbs as I don't currently have any laying around to look at. I quit using the NT carb when the CNS became available.

Last edited: