Mounting brakes (front and rear)?

GoldenMotor.com

meowy84

Jul 18, 2009
Canada
I'm about to mount my engine kit and it strikes me how the heck am I going to install brakes on this thing when the place of the left brake lever will be taken up by the clutch lever? Other than putting two levers on the left side (clutch and brake) which I think will look cluttered/crowded and a bit goofy not to mention that the clutch lever will make it awkward to operate the brake lever.

do you guys have front and rear brakes on your bikes and how did you accomplish it? Do I have to be stuck with having only one brake? And if so which wheel should I choose, front or back? In my opinion I should probably choose the front since when you apply the brakes most of your weight shifts to the front and just like in cars the front wheels do most of the braking.

The problem is that I don't really want to trust just two tiny front brake pads with my life.

I thought about constructing some mechanism that would apply both front and rear brakes with just the one brake lever but then with my work schedule that will set me back a few weeks and I want to ride before winter is here. LOL Also there is the bigger problem of setting up the brake balance which is easily done with proportioning valves on the hydraulic brake systems of cars but with cables it might be a bit of a dilemma. Obviously you don't want the rear wheel skidding out from under you because the rear brakes grab first and harder than the front brakes.

Any ideas?

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Some people run both clutch and brake on the left but to me this would be a little awkward especially if you were in a panic stop situation.

Some people use the dual brake lever which seems a lot simpler and easier to use once properly set up.

Sick Bike Parts Dual Pull Brake Lever

scooterhoot

Aug 2, 2009
Britton,mi
dnutI have the same brake lever on my bike, but got it from spookytooth, works great! Beats holding in clutch than going for the front brake with your pinkie, and safer too!

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
The dual brake lever works great on my bike, but a complete overhaul on the brakes themselves is planned for this winter. Take time and get them adjusted to suit you. The calbes will likely stretch a bit, so stay with it for awhile and adjust them accordingly. Good Luck!

GraingerDoodTim

Jun 20, 2009
Saint Petersburg, Fla
i have my back brake on the right and my clutch on the left. also on the left hand side I have my front brake. I set it up so that i can pull the clutch with my middle ring and pinkie, and leave the index for my brake. works well and only yanked my front brake instead of the clutch once. but all you need is once cause thats really scary. I rely on my back brake to do a majority of the braking, the front is used mostly for emergencies

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
i would use just the front brake and put it on the right side,but im using a coaster brake bike instead so i dont have to deal with that stuff.

meowy84

Jul 18, 2009
Canada
Thanks for all the the info guys. I think I'll have to purchase one of the dual cable levers. I don't want to rely on one wheel braking that's for sure especially since I'm thinking of using my bike for commuting to and from work, even in the wet. Don't want to rely on one brake on a cold wet morning.

gubba

Dec 29, 2008
jacksonville, florida
i don't have coaster brakes.
the rear wheel is of course the power wheel.
i find the back brake pads basicly useless because when you let off the gas the motor takes a few seconds to 'wind down'.

i have the clutch handle slid on the left side first, pointed straight up and the brake handle on last pointed down.
you use the heel of your hand to push down for the clutck and your fingers pull the brake. your hand can go under the clutch handle to use brake only.

i posted a thread "my machine" a few monyhs ago showing pics of this.

stay dry

gubba

microbore

Oct 5, 2009
Mass
Instead of using a lever for the clutch, I'm using a Shimano rapid fire front derailleur shifter. It locks on automatically, pulls more cable than the clutch lever at the locked position, and can be operated at the same time as the brake lever.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I've been riding motorcycles since I was very young, so when I build my bicycles, it's very important to me to keep the controls the same as on a motorcycle.
It's all second nature to me, & if I'm ever in a 'think fast' situation, I want to have the clutch & brake levers where I don't have to think about them being different!!

That means, no funny clutch or throttle levers, no brake levers on the clutch side (or two separate hand brake levers for that matter.)

I'm sure that people who ride MC's know what I'm talking about!
dnutdnutdnutdnut

POPS

Sep 8, 2008
Vancouver Island BC .Canada
You BET Ven

I remeber my first ride on a snorten Norton and the first light with every thing backwards on the pegs. . WOW...That was an eye opener,and even a second time on an old Harley..Same, same...
Backwards and the same result at the first light...POPS

Last edited:

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
Keep in mind there are times when using a front brake is a NO NO and can get you hurt, like cornering and using the front brake, sand on the surface or gravel, a front brake can ruin your day if not used properly. To me I want a choice to use the front if needed or the rear or both if a sudden stop is nesessary.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Keep in mind there are times when using a front brake is a NO NO and can get you hurt, like cornering and using the front brake, sand on the surface or gravel, a front brake can ruin your day if not used properly. To me I want a choice to use the front if needed or the rear or both if a sudden stop is nesessary.
Thats a good point!
I'm really liking the current set up on my bikes of having a disc (or drum) on the front & a coaster on the rear.