Unusual fork

GoldenMotor.com

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
I've been kinda fascinated with the fork this fellow built for his bicycle...
...keep looking at the pic... forgot where I got it...

Then it's dawning on me the weak point is the spring hanger, up on the bars...

the perch is only the two rods, welded on, and extending forward, to hold one end of the spring steel circle.
Probably needs a little bit of design improvement.

Still, a rather interesting take on front suspension!
rc

Attachments

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
That bike is from ratrodbikes.com

It is a pedal only bike, the forks probably fine for that, not sure id want to add the weight of a motor, tank, fuel etc.

I love the fork and i love the bike. Very very original, his chain drive runs through a coupke jackshafts just for something different. It looks awesome if you ask me

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Where in the heck would you get a spring like that? Seems very interesting! Thanks for posting the picture.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Where in the heck would you get a spring like that? Seems very interesting! Thanks for posting the picture.
My guess, and i may be wrong, is that he cut a small length of some thick round tube steel, and then removed a small section of it to make the "C" shape. Im not sure how strong that would be but maybe you could heat treat it for strength (remember this is on a bicycle, and not a MB).... i just woke up and cant recall what that process is called

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Well that link didnt work, it only took you to Ratrodbikes.com gallery, but if you go down to the "rat rod bikes" section and go to page 5 you will see the entire bike if interested.

If anyone knows a link to the build thread id love to see it, i love that bike

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
you will find springs are made from special steel not from plain run of the mill cheap as you can buy hot rolled stock but from "No. 1075 Carbon Steel"

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
you will find springs are made from special steel not from plain run of the mill cheap as you can buy hot rolled stock but from "No. 1075 Carbon Steel"
Umm yeah i realise that but its sure what it looks isnt doesnt it? Or if im not mistaken you can treat mild steel to make it springier (dont know the term or the technique) ..... remember this is a regular pedal bike and not a motorized bike

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
it looks like a modified leaf spring from a car or something close to it. but then I don't have a set of PLANS in front of me to tell me the right answer....

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
If one knew or learned the tecniques, I'm sure some of us back yard engineers could figure out how to annneal a piece of leaf spring, roll and shape it and re heat treat it properly enough to make it springy again.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Umm yeah i realise that but its sure what it looks isnt doesnt it? Or if im not mistaken you can treat mild steel to make it springier (dont know the term or the technique) ..... remember this is a regular pedal bike and not a motorized bike
I think high carbon steel tubing is available. That's what is used on some hydraulic cylinders and prolly other industrial applications. A slice of that might take enough temper to make an adequate spring for a bicycle.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
No but one could visit a blacksmith.... there are people who get others to build their entire bike..... a visit to a blacksmith isnt beyond the realm of possibilities. If we ALWAYS listened to you Ibedayank one would believe nothing is possible :)

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I think high carbon steel tubing is available. That's what is used on some hydraulic cylinders and prolly other industrial applications. A slice of that might take enough temper to make an adequate spring for a bicycle.
Thats along the lines of what i was thinking, im no expert, dont claim to be, but im guessing spring steel would be almost impossible to roll that tight of a diameter, thats why i believed it may be tubing that had been treated..... but im just guessing

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
I doubt most are here have a forge or live in a place they would be allowed to construct one
Not many forges around, but plenty of us have access to rosebud torches or ceramic kilns. Either could be used to "git er done" shade tree style.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Look in your local yellow pages for 'spring rebuld'. You'll find places that re-arch springs for automotive use and they also can build custom springs for almost any application. Provide them with the total weight of what you're trying to suspend and they will make a spring with the proper rate based on that.
I had a seat spring made for my father-in-law's old garden tractor after the original broke. It was reasonable, less that $25.00 for a single leaf, about a foot long and 2" wide.
Tom