combustion chambers?

GoldenMotor.com

rickie h

Aug 6, 2009
usa
i saved up some cash to buy an expansion chamber for my bike and spooky tooth stopped selling them! i know sick bike parts has one but its plastic and more expensive...anyone know where i can get a metal expansion chambers like the ones spookytooth had?for around $50

TandocTools

Nov 24, 2009
KS
Fatcat is what I just got from bicycle-engines.com. Here is the link:

Fat Cat Chrome Expansion Chamber - $49.99

I had mine sent straight to Pat Dolan (sportscarpat) to get modded to fit a PK-80motor/Panther frame combo, so these might not work for you right out of the box. Send Pat a PM and he can probably tell you what time it is!

rockvoice

Apr 6, 2009
glendale california
i saved up some cash to buy an expansion chamber for my bike and spooky tooth stopped selling them! i know sick bike parts has one but its plastic and more expensive...anyone know where i can get a metal expansion chambers like the ones spookytooth had?for around $50
SBP's chamber is "NOT" plastic and works very well.

wildemere

Feb 12, 2008
Newcastle
The SBP exhaust is held together by silicone hose parts, so it is plastic, compared to a welded steel system that would be considered solid.

50cc Pocket bike chambers can be adapted to the HT easily
enough.

This is what the SBP setup is with "plastic" connections.

Not to disregard the SBP setup as it is made for people who don't own welders and is made to fit most bikes.

rockvoice

Apr 6, 2009
glendale california
The SBP exhaust is held together by silicone hose parts, so it is plastic, compared to a welded steel system that would be considered solid.

50cc Pocket bike chambers can be adapted to the HT easily
enough.

This is what the SBP setup is with "plastic" connections.

Not to disregard the SBP setup as it is made for people who don't own welders and is made to fit most bikes.
you said it right there "it is set up to fit most bikes" the others will only fit one type of bike. also the sbp chamber can also be welded "we do it all the time" thats why the sbp chamber is so popular because it can be adapted for diff applications, (not to mention that the ones u speak of have the chamber right out of the jug so it is not tunable)

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
The 'spooky' pipes don't seem like they would work right... There's suppossed to be about 12" of leader pipe between the exaust port & the expansion chamber for it to work properly.

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
There is no "plastic" in our pipes and the silicone is simply a seal and is not structural at all. The system can be run without it if you don't mind a little oil seeping from the joints.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
An alternative for the SBP spring retention (springs are ossum to cut down metal fatigue tho) and the silicone tubing is this (click to view);

Sorry 'bout the pic - it wasn't taken for this purpose... anyhoo, that's the head pipe and flange of the stock muffler, a bit of pipe cut from the "J" pipe on the SBP kit and welded as an adapter (perfect fit BTW) with the expansion chamber slid right onto it (there'll be an exhaust U clamp there soon).

Other than that one clamp - it's all "free" as it's nothing but what you'd have anyway ;) Still - the only reason I did this is to try and keep it as "old school" lookin' as possible. That SBP sys is off my Schwinn (cleaned & repainted) and despite thousands of miles and more than one... "accident" - I've not had any probs w/it at all :D

retromike3

Jan 9, 2009
Beaverton OR
Hard to say 49cc is a bit smaller than 65(the 80cc motors are actually 65cc) and with no way to change the length you may not get the performance you are looking for.

I got a Sick Bike Part tuned pipe and it took me a week before I got it right. There is a very narrow power band where you get almost double the horsepower and then a sharp drop off, almost like a light switch. I shortened my pipe by about a half a inch and it made a world of difference.

I have a welder and I still am using the "plastic" couplings. I don't think I need to weld them, they are still working fine. The main problem is that the bike has much more power and I don't have to pedal as much so I am getting fat :)

Mike Frye the bike guy

The 26incher

Dec 19, 2009
Pepeekeo, HI
I have the "Fat Cat" pipe on my bike and it works fine? The problem is, it is loud and you need to make a rear hanger to hold the pipe from cracking...