Oil amounts for upright HF engines...?

GoldenMotor.com

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
Like the title says, what’s ‘cha running...?

I know folks have been successfully tipping these engines with the cylinder upright for several years now. And i’m curious what the recommended oil amount is for the inexpensive Harbor Freight 4 stroke Engines?

200cc (Greyhound)
212cc Predator
99cc Predator
79cc Predator

Thanks!!!

-Mr. B.

Reactions: Dan

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Cool, Mr.B.

Think way back some one had measured and posted. But I lost the link. Good information to have. (I loves me some HF engines)

Looking forward to the responses you get.

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Thanks Dan! Looking forward too and will eventually print a hard copy and tack to the wall in my shop.

If I recall correctly I believe member "CobraFreak" (Indian BTR replica) was one of the first to try the upright engine posture. Before that there was no small amount of discussion on whether or not it would even work without toasting the engine, with a few naysayers...

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Made me giggle. The nay-sayer thing. Was just talking about that. "YOU'LL TOAST IT!" lol. Until someone does it, it works and they was wrong. (pronounced wronga!)

That's what I really enjoy about our happy band of crazy. We just don't seem to know we can't do stuff. So we just sorta go ahead an' do it. A group of people who take perfectly good bicycles and strap motors, engines and sometimes even rockets/jets to them. Just can't say that is your normal, run of the mill peoples, snork.

Mr.B, do you have a picture album? if ya do can ya post or send me a link? It's for the migration/test thing. I personally am lovin' the new software. Big money and time going into it. When ya post a vid, it shows. Not just a link. Does all sorts of stuff like that. And Eric figured out a way to keep Hiker's emoji, smileys things! I was really worried they would be lost. Almost all were made for a specific member and have a story. Was really worried. Wonder what ever happened to Hiker, any one know?

but vid thing;

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Thats a cool thought, Mr. B. Downloadable charts like a drill, tap/die, fractions conversion charts that you could download here and print! I have some antique charts. Man are they handy!

But very cool thunk! I'm gonna do a thread and ask folks to contribute. I tacked up this wall stuff in my shop that ya can dry erase on. It's uber cool but most of it is ratios and conversions I use regularly. Would be cool to have the conversions for our thing printed up and not having walls that look like a convulsing chicken had a seizure on em.

Big time, thanks.
LoL, we should call em "B" charts. (Like the Hiker's smilies. will be asked about yrs from now)

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
That antique chart sounds way cool!, and I love the idea of a having a go to resource for such things. I have a boring modern drill/tab conversion chart hanging behind my drill press. I’d cover that up right fast with the likes of what you’re describing!

But I’m not sure what you mean by photo album...?

In the past I created one (perhaps 2?) here on the forum. I also have a tumblr blog (that sadly hasn’t been updated in quite a while), a imgur account where i post albums from the Davenport show annually (and link here) and photobucket that i occasionally use to embed pics amongst the copy in threads here...

I often wondered about the M-Bike specific smilelys here, i didn’t realize that was something you had custom created. I'll have to go and look at all of them now! (with new found appreciation!)

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Oh man. Thought you were here back then. Hiker was a great guy. This thread is a good remeber-er thing. Really miss him. Really good guy. I had tried and failed making them. He just started whipping em out. All spacific for folks. https://motorbicycling.com/threads/thanking-hiker.15153/

Could ya send me a link to your photo albums? Eric wanted to test some thing with an offsite album and the new software. I didn't really understand what he needed. Can't believe he got all this done in a day.

Started a thread asking for help making B charts;

https://motorbicycling.com/threads/mbc-download-print-conversion-charts.63006/

No volunteers yet. Great idea. That's the kinda thing that helps folks and yrs from now, someone will be discussing where this started. Just cool.

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Thanks Dan!!!

I think it will be a good resource, and surely it will grow with time...

I just tried to link the 2016 Davenport show imgur album and it won't allow it-
I got this prompt-

URL prompt.jpg

Wheelie!
.wee.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Dang. Will ask. Some one else is getting same message.

Thanks for every thing!

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
btw, It was a copy & paste from a post I made last September (#89) so it did work with the old software...
:- (

https://motorbicycling.com/threads/davenport-show.37098/page-5#post-643961
Just saw a post by our host (who is the most) that he switched off a anti spammer thing. (I got no clue with the migration and tech stuff)

But you should be good, now. Give it a try.
And thanks for being so cool and patient. Know change alone is a bummer. Add to that stuff not working perfectly out of the gate and like it used to is frustrating.

On the good side, I haven't gotten a single hate email in 30 or 40 hrs, LoL.

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
212cc 19oz 10w-30. I used to make 1oz of that zinc additive but now I don't even bother. Oreillys 10w-30 synthetic. Cheap motor, cheap oil. Run it.

People will say different numbers. I asked this question as well and got a range of replies between 20 and 24oz, but whatever amount you put in there, it will spit out the extra and for me it stops spitting at 19oz.

And it's proven. 10000 miles and still the fastest bike in the South Bay.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan and Mr.B.