A bike to ride

GoldenMotor.com

Lungcookie

Aug 15, 2013
Oregon
Should have named this "A bike to pedal".
After playing with the Magic Pie 3 for the last year, almost, I have it in my head that it would be fun to have a bike that's more a pedal bike with assist.
For me the Pie is like a motor with some human input.

Bought a Gravity FSX-2, at bikesdirect.com. Looks like a decent bike for my intent, mellow trails.

The motor I ordered showed with the wires half chopped at the axle.
It is a 9 speed cassette, I thought I would just swap out with a 8-speed like the bike has.
(edit- it all works, just a thick headed operator)
Motor has a recessed threading into the hub/motor not the normal thread on style cassette hub body.
That turned into a schooling in cassette hubs over at Sheldonbrown.
So thinking now is swapping the 8-9 freehub cassette body with a 7.
Also to get the disc brake to align i have to shift hub to gear side.

Now looking at the 7-speed hub body, I am no to sure swapping is even an option.

Maybe I am missing something here?
Easier method? Maybe an adapter ring for the motor? Couple pics.

And this new bike almost removed the tip of a finger in the front disc! OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Watch out disc brake is like a mini guillotine. Keep all body parts clear of spinning disc!

Frik'in thing I will have the last word! LOL
...and really just don't use that conhis motor.

edit...again...
Then...fast forward, I am into less pedaling, hurt knee...
Current bike. pics 3/4

Attachments

Last edited:

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Guess is the motor was designed to be modular, they could swap in the piece you got and use it as a rear hub or change the piece to a disc brake mount and use it as a front. Im guessing the bolt spacing lines up with a brake disc? Problem is that when used as a rear it will only support rim brakes. You got it unlaced right? I see the motor in the back ground sans a rim. If my reasoning is correct(probably not) will be easier to put it on the front, and add spacers to the threaded insert to make the disc line up.
Watch out for newly machined parts! For some reason the CNC programmers forget the chamfering on edges a lot.

Lungcookie

Aug 15, 2013
Oregon
This motor maybe a project for a trike or something.
Bought it at Conhismotor.com seemed like a good deal at the time.
Fast shipping, 1 week. Very quick support response.

I am not sure I can pull these free-hubs apart without destroying something.
To swap the 8-9 to 7.

Attachments

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
This motor maybe a project for a trike or something.
Bought it at Conhismotor.com seemed like a good deal at the time.
Fast shipping, 1 week. Very quick support response.

I am not sure I can pull these free-hubs apart without destroying something.
To swap the 8-9 to 7.
Dumb question. Why do you need to disassemble the freehubs? I have done it a few times with out destroying the units. Some are easy some not. If the unit fits the frame, cant you just use the derail to limit which gears you use?

I must be missing something.

Lungcookie

Aug 15, 2013
Oregon
I think I am missing something here too, my brain!

Due to the, what I perceived, extreme wheel dishing and disc brake alignment.
I was thinking (need to stop doing that) I need to shift the hub over towards the gear side.

I was fooling with it last night. Looks like it will work.
Swapped the cassette to 8-speed, bolted the disc on and added 2 washers to the axle, disc side.
Man what a bonehead I is.

The dishing sent me over analyzing. Thought (there I go again) it looked to extreme one way. Not sure it will be any different than any other geared bike.

While the rear wheel is not in line with the center-line of the frame, it seems to be over-all in-line, if that makes any sense.
Going to lace it up today and see what happens.

Attachments

Last edited:

Lungcookie

Aug 15, 2013
Oregon
Its going to work!
Had to order spokes.
Tried to recycle the spokes from my first wheel I built but they are not quite right.

Last edited:

Lungcookie

Aug 15, 2013
Oregon
Well damn, ordered the spokes 5mm to long...and broke a new, no battery meter, thumb throttle.

I want to ride my bicycle.

Some of the 'plastic' used in these parts is terrible.
Just working this throttle in my hand, I let the spring snap back the lever a couple times.
Don't do that.
It cracked the outer casing, I took it apart and the spring snapped the casing at the hole that held the spring. Also the 2 little magnets, one had the 'chrome' finish/coating broken, from letting the spring snap back, I guess.

Wow, be gentle with these things.

...and the saga continues...

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Have you seen the spoke caclc. at Ebikes? Got most of the hub motors in it. Just pick yours and add the ERD and presto it calcs the spokes.
Bummer on the spokes and throttle, I know what its like thinking you will be ridding soon then some little gremlin wrecks the day!

Lungcookie

Aug 15, 2013
Oregon
Finally made a bit of forward progress on this, back to the way it came in the box, plus a couple improvements.

38Lbs. its easy enough to pick up and it freewheels just the same as a non-motor rear hub.
Plan to use a backpack battery and put the controller in the saddle bag.

Attachments

Last edited:

Lungcookie

Aug 15, 2013
Oregon
Rides and feels good.

The Cycle Analyst makes for a nice clean build.
Plug throttle and brakes and anything else into the CA3 then one wire to the controller.
Black frame hides wires and zip-ties.

Motor is loud, not sure I like it. maybe it will break-in and get better.
The Magic Pie may have ruined me, and are how I picture an electric motor should sound.
However you can not tell this motor is even there when its not on, no drag/resistance.

Backpack battery.

Attachments

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
That's gotta be the ultimate in stealth! My geared unit is no louder then my DDs, just a different sound. It does get louder under acceleration/load. Still its cool to let off and coast a long way. You should notice an increase in torque for its wattage. I have built both a 350w DD and geared and the geared has more power across the range, no wimpy take offs. Cant say about hills but I would conclude it would do better.

Lungcookie

Aug 15, 2013
Oregon
This 'Bike to ride" turned into a lesson in 'revolt of body'.
I had intended this bike to be 'Bike like' and it was.

I didn't really like that Conhis motor. Even running it at 600w, it was not worth the weight and the controller was getting really hot.
It reminds me of having a tandem with the guy on the back who dosen't want to be there.

Then I started to ride motor-less.
That turned into me thrashing my knee, old injury.

So on to the Mac 10t... Wow! great motor, its more like a motorcycle now but you don't have to ride it that way. Still can pedal like a bike, very little resistance and it is much more quiet than that Conhis motor.
I am running it at 20a/1000w and it wants to do a wheelie with fresh charge.
Throttle is a bit touchy is the only complaint.
Feels better/more powerful than the Magic pie at 30a.

Super happy with this setup.
Thank you Paul at EM3EV.com
http://em3ev.com/store/index.php?route=common/home

Some from the MAC10t point.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=69736

Attachments

Last edited: