Hybrid Electric/Motorized Bicycle

GoldenMotor.com

Motorbikenewb

Mar 19, 2013
Columbus, OH
Greetings,

I know this sounds a bit over the top, but has anyone tried building a hybrid motorized bike that has both an Electric powerplant (Lithium Ion Battery and electric wheel) AND a 66/80cc 2 stroke engine?

Doesn't sound like it would be too difficult a project. I was thinking about building one and wanted to know if anyone else has successfully built one. .wee.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
It's occurred to me before. But I never got around to it. And I'll bet it's occurred to others around here. But as far as I can tell, they've never got around to it either.

I suppose there are some downsides. It'd be a very heavy bike. And operating, and controlling, both drive trains could get sticky.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I had a hybrid using a golden motor (electric pancake motor) up front along with a gas engine. The batteries I had were lead acid and very heavy which made the bike feel like a guided missile (not the speed, but the weight). I'm in the process of accumulating the parts to build a trike using that same pancake motor up front and converting a 1963 Schwinn American Deluxe bicycle into a tricycle using a riding mower differential axle in back pwered by a 1950's Villiars 98cc 2 stroke with a kick start. It will have the newer, lighter batteries this time, but will still be a heavy machine.

BarelyAWake has built a wonderful hybrid tadpole with a 50cc 4 stroke and electric pancake motor in the rear.

Welcome to the forum!
SB

Last edited:

Motorbikenewb

Mar 19, 2013
Columbus, OH
Yeah, I figured the weight would be the biggest issue. I envisioned using it the way hybrid cars work. Use the electric motor to get going, and in slow traffic environments, and then turn on the 2-stroke where its open and clear. However, such a thing would also be a magnet for thieves. The cost would be at least over $1000 and that doesn't include the bike.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Yeah, I figured the weight would be the biggest issue. I envisioned using it the way hybrid cars work. Use the electric motor to get going, and in slow traffic environments, and then turn on the 2-stroke where its open and clear. However, such a thing would also be a magnet for thieves. The cost would be at least over $1000 and that doesn't include the bike.
You don't want to do it with any gas motor, 2 or 4 stroke. My bike cost over $4000 for what you see in the pic. It just costs too much. Either go all electric or all gas. Top speed is not combined. Only the torque is.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I'm not sure I'd offer such absolutes milked, there's quite a few variables unmentioned that's contributed to your conclusion - few of which are as appropriate to the general hybrid concept as they may be to your experience with your specific build, your specific interest & application. While that experience is of course valid, to dismiss the concept outright without further clarification is a bit of a disservice to those that may be considering such as well as others that have also built hybrids, successful in their application & interests.

Please, I mean no offense - rather that if you mean to dissuade someone from what you've found a fruitless endeavor, a noble intent, all would be better served were you to explain your findings, the reasoning why as some of what you've stated is comparative, yet lacking an example for what is apparently a disappointment between intent and application.

For some examples;

Expensive = a comparative term. Expensive vs what? Why? You've a very clean & professional looking build - comprised of components & accessories that may or may not contribute to preformance overall vs expense.

Heavy = again comparative, even relative. Heavier then a bicycle doubtless, but is it heavier then a factory moped? What makes it so heavy, could something have been done differently? Does the difference in weight degrade preformance enough to negate the hybrid aspect?

Speed = this one you've almost explained with "Top speed is not combined. Only the torque is." which while true with your specific build and perhaps seen a failure with your specific interest, by saying why you've found it a disappointment helps to prevent others from making a similar attempt - while providing opportunity for those also with experience to offer their insight & suggestions should someone wish to try anyway.

You're absolutely right in that top speed isn't enhanced - but only with the components you chose to use, ungeared electric hub motors will only reach a certain maximum RPM before they start to create drag rather then assisting - had a geared electric drive been utilized, the electric's power assist range would be at your discretion. Yet if maximum top speed isn't your priority the inclusion of an electric hub motor can be a simple, clean method to aid specifically what you've mentioned in the second half of the statement, torque - which aids greatly acceleration, hill climbing and hauling capacity, some of which Motorbikenewb stated as priorities.

Granted, if "simple, light, fast & cheap" are the interests - hybrid experimentation is likely not to provide all four aspects if for no other reason then in our field, it is still so experimental, yet even then it's still all comparative as there's unexplored potential, depending on expectations and preformance parameters - which of the above being the highest priority & how.

Two can view the exact same build completely differently, as a success or failure - depending only on what they'd hoped to achieve. The hybrid build I experimented with is indeed complicated, heavy, slow & expensive - compared to say a bicycle with a two stroke KTM50 clone... but on the other had it's simple, light, fast & cheap compared to say, a posh factory scooter.

As my priorities were not "simple, light, fast & cheap" rather they were quiet, efficient & powerful - I've been quite well pleased with the results, I wanted a comfortable, fuel efficient machine, quick off the line but well suited for long distance sustained cruise with a heavy trailer in tow, my primary priority just playing with the pieces, trying to make them all fit. It's not even "expensive" in my opinion as while it may have cost about $3500 to build, it's very close to being two motorized bicycles in components and was spread out over about three years of build time, most of which was costless but amusing R&D time, making my motorized bicycle hobby budget & expenditure no more then most, regardless of build.

Somehow, I got exactly what I wanted, though admittedly to this day I'm not quite sure how that happened :p

http://youtu.be/bNLTLRx8sTI

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=24210

...& thank you for your kind words Silver ;)

Last edited:

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
You are correct BA. Everything is all relative to who is building what and with what financial resources they have. What's fine for some will not be for others. The gas motor offsets the need for massive amounts of batteries and more than tripled the range of my 48V 12.9Ah batteries to well over 100 miles.

Now I'm going the full electric route on my current bike build. It will easily weigh over 225 lbs. compared to 120 lbs. but it will actually cost the same as my old hybrid, have the same battery range, and be able to reach 70 MPH. My old hybrid was screaming blood murder just to reach about 42 MPH.

If those ammo cans or motorcycle tires were any smaller, I simply would not be able to stuff 72V 60Ah 60 lbs. worth of batteries inside them. Bicycle tires would simply explode upon hitting the first bump with the kind of weight I'm dealing with now. LOL

Last edited:

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Well....those last two were pretty impressive machines, weren't they?

Nice work.
Thanks. Which 2 machines are you referring to? My old hybrid bike and BA's hybrid? Yeah hybrid bikes are no walk in the park to build. I know mine sure wasn't, but it was the first MB I ever built.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
I'd like to make a series hybrid AKA Chevy Volt style, just to make the build cheaper and make it so that a gas powered mountain bike can go up on the trails and have as much range as portable gas cans and onboard storage provide. If you top off the batteries and use them asd buffers to the current draw from the motor they don't technically deep-cycle, and therefore last longer before developing sulfate deposits or eroded electrodes.

If the laws didn't prohibit gasoline powered mopeds on the MTB trails I'd just do that, but the torque from an electric is useful on trails and there's no law about carrying a generator anywhere. Plus it would be great for camping because you can plug in your phone and appliances. Margheritas on the ridge overlooking the bay anyone? lol :D