GoldenMotor.com

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Hey Norm,
What kind of bike are you thinking??

Cheers
I'm thinking of puting it all on the Felt Slater! ;)

I ordered the large rear hydraulic disc & brake today. (I already have a matching front.)

I was talking to my homie who runs a bike rental shop, & he was telling me that Sturmey hubs have always been cr*p! (But he doesn't know if the new ones are any good or not?)
He did say that the Shimano hubs have always been rock solid! So I'm now gonna look for a Shimano 8-speed disc hub.

I'll keep y'all posted.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Chiming in with my X-RD3 here. I bought mine last year after talking to BarelyAwake and love the hub. I'm running a HS+4G on SBP mount. The only thing I've changed is the shifter - went with a classic 3-speed trigger instead of the twist-grip.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Thats a beefy looking hub!! I havnt had any takers on the 8 speed yet, I might have to end up using it on the Panther.

Cheers

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Maybe this is telling Me somthing,..... I just went to SBP site to buy a HD kit "SOLD OUT" Got My huskys last night and delaced em , now I have to drill the sturmeys for 12 GA. thanks for doing that springer mod on that hub for Me Norm!!

Cheers

mdlee1958

Feb 22, 2009
Fort Collins, Colorado
Chainmaker, before you go drilling your hub check and see if your 12's will slide thru without drilling. My XRD-8 hub took 12's with no drilling even though the SA tech sheet says it only goes to 13.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Chainmaker, before you go drilling your hub check and see if your 12's will slide thru without drilling. My XRD-8 hub took 12's with no drilling even though the SA tech sheet says it only goes to 13.

I checked them last night....They fit fine no need to do any drilling. Finished de-spoking the other husky last night and snapped 4 spokes there was some kind of adhesive on them not loc-tite, I was hoping to reuse atleast one set if they were in good shape but not now, so I measured everything on the hubs and ordered 72 custom cut 12Ga stainless spokes, and 36 14ga. for Her bike.

Cheers

Venice Motor Bikes

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Maybe this is telling Me somthing,..... I just went to SBP site to buy a HD kit "SOLD OUT" Got My huskys last night and delaced em , now I have to drill the sturmeys for 12 GA. thanks for doing that springer mod on that hub for Me Norm!!

Cheers
Post some pix when you get it all together!! :)

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
When I got home last night I started de-lacing the rear wheell and broke 4 spokes I ordered all new ones, I should get them the end of next week, Ill start a build thread of the 2 bikes.
Cheers

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
What are the axles on these hubs made of?? I know I bent a few steel ones on my freewheel hub before switching to chromoly.Can internal hub axles be changed or upgraded?

Venice Motor Bikes

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Here's a little update... I got the Shimano 8-speed hub laced into one of the Felt wheels with 12 ga spokes...
Next I'll lace a Shimano front disc brake hub into the other.
I have all the SBP shifter parts at the powder coater, & they should be ready at the end of this week.

Last edited:

leadslinger

Feb 20, 2011
Las Vegas
I am building a jack shaft to clear my phat rear tire on a coaster cruiser. I noticed Slick Bike Parts has two different size sprockets on his shift kit. I was thinking both sprockets should be the same. Any ideas?

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Spokes finally came yesterday..I got home late and had to leave early for work. I have tomorrow off Im going to lace them up and start a build thread for the bike they are for.
Cheers