List of motorized bicycle gearboxes

GoldenMotor.com

MaxPower

Jul 1, 2009
Sierra Vista AZ
"Hoot."- theses are the cheapest and least durable. There have been numerous threads describing complete failures after a short period. There are Three types, a linear gear, helical gear and an updated version that uses a chain. The chain version is supposed to be much better.

Grubee Stage III and II gear box- These are better that the Hoot but are noisy and the engagers break. It is a gear mesh and the box is filled with oil which some say causes more friction.

Grubee G4. This is the latest Grubee gearbox. Its belt driven and available with and without an engager. There have been some bad reviews about this box being too wide and the freewheel breaking. From member "Blow By U motors": First of all, it is my personal opinion that the 4G T Belt Drive engine kits are the most reliable V mount 4 strokes Kits out there. There are pros and cons for both engines, Honda GXH-50 is of course Japaneese high quality and offeres more tourque that the Clone but the Honda is not built for installing in bicycles at all. If you use original equiped Honda you will have to take the engine apart and remove the govenor plus the carb will not except a throttle without modification. The best way to deal with that is to buy a Huasheng carb for $40 and your problem is solved. Except for the price most Honda`s sell for $400 or more un like the Huashend 142F-cc 49cc engine the prices start at $170. The Huasheng engine unlike the Honda is ready to go right out of the box and the only down fall of this little screaming deamon is that is made with Chineesium metal and that means be carefull of how tight you turn them bolts. Huasheng engine is by far the best value and I have heard reports of over 50,000 miles and still going strong. If your going to have a problem with this engine it will be right away not later on and they come with a 6 to 7 month warranty and that is more than enough time find any problems. Now when it come to the two different 4G Tramsmissions tappered shaft Huashend plus Huasheng also has five eights shaft and Honda five eights shaft and in this case the advantage gose to the Huasheng tappered shaft because the clutch bell has a bearing. Now the Honda on the other hand has a brass bushing called a cc bushing that requires soaking the bushing in oil for 24 hrs, it is very brittle and easily damaged. Trans for the Honda also comes with a problem matic clutch that requires special tuning, ie; springs and washers but once this is dialed in the clutch engages right off idle. Unlike the Huasheng Tappered shaft the clutch dose not start engageing untill 2100 RPM.
There is one more thing that gose in the Honda`s favor with the 4G trans and Honda as a the pair are three quarters of an inch more narrow that the standard 4G with the Huasheng tappered shaft engine enables you to use the one piece wide crank with the Honda of which is more narrow than the 3 piece wide crank that comes with the standard 4G kit. I will say this about the 4G T Belt Drive engine kit with the Huasheng engine and that is this I have sold more than 200 of thses kits and I have only had to deal with shipping damage. Also this is the kits that I use in all my high end custom built bikes. BUT it dose not matter what engine you use with the 4G T Belt Drive transmission you are going to get a winner.

EZM Q-matic - claim to fame is that its all american. the box was designed by member "Quenton Guenther." The claim is that its the best box on the market but you have to pay for it. It's quite expensive. The EZM 'Q-Matic' is a automatic with a max-torque made centrifugal clutch. The EZM 'Silent-Drive' is a manual version. Both are a belt drive primary and chain secondary design (the manual is easily converted to a belt secondary. At this time, the manual 'Silent-Drive' is only available with a kit. The auto 'Q-Matic' is available in kit form or as a stand alone replacement for Honda GXH50, and HuaSheng 142f as well as a few other 4cycle engines with a 5/8" drive shaft. The drive is only 2" from the mounting flange of the engine. EZ Motorbike

Firebelly WhisperDrive- From Evan aka tyrslider. "Cake to install and icing to operate, this 1 speed automatic is brimming w/ style and sophistication; A window into the works lets onlookers gaze w/ wonder! The WhirlyGazer Technology also helps you, the rider, check o/a condition at a glance. 3 HD High Speed Sealed Bearings on the Primary Shaft Inspire Total Confidence. The throaty 4 stroke sound through the FBC signature SS pipe is nothing less than assertive. Be the 1st on your block to Command Respect! Currently in Production the "WD" is a simple and economical 4 stroke kit made (not sourced) almost entirely StateSide. All componants are made right here in the USA except as listed here: the bearings and final drive chain are made in Japan and the sprocket, throttle and grips are made in China. Depending on the motor you use it is likely made in China. The "WD" comes w/ Drive System, Engine Mount, Wide Cranks, FBC SS Exhaust, Chain and Rear Sprocket. $440 W/ HD Rear Axle Grubee MB Wheel (W/ FreeWheeling Rear Sprocket). $540 FBC AirFilter and Chain Tensioner available at $20 each w/ order of "Base Kit". You Buy Only What You Need! Will work w/ many engines including Lifan, B&S, Honda GX100 and most notably the Harbor Freight 2.5 HP ($109.99 but often on sale for $89.99)."

YouTube - ShellyBelly WhisperDrive
YouTube - An evening in front of the FireBelly!
YouTube - FireBelly WhisperDrive in true technicolor extra reality TV

Sick bike parts shift kit
- $189 This kit is designed to fit the Honda or Huasheng engine using the Hoot or Grubee Stage 2 or 3 gear box. This kit will allow the user to shift gears using the bike's standard rear derailleur. Sick Bike Parts

Staton- Staton-Inc motorized bicycles, bike kits & gear drive kits. They've been making kits since 1984, long before any of the other companies listed were even conceived. Its a Gear mesh that's machined in the US and is intended to mounted on a rack.. Lifetime warranty on the gearbox. They sell a Nuvinci CVT kit that looks really cool. I personally have Robin Subaru crank shift kit with the gearbox. The box is bullet proof but is a little noisy. Staton gave me some new thinner type grease that seems to do a better job with noise but leaks out and has to be wiped down every so often.

CVT- I've heard of people taking them off of pocket bikes and retro fitting them to their motors. I don't think there are any company specifically making them for 49cc honda's and Huasheng

Thats dax I'm quoting Thats Dax "59 bucks and 9 shipping will get you this gear box. Mounts right up to Titan, and others that share the 76-78 mm" "Automotive Technology for the Gear box drive system, and some other engineering combinations yields a simple yet super reliable, smooth , quiet, and very powerful "

affordable go karts affordablegokarts: Jackshaft Assembly for 79cc HF EngineI got the chance to meet the owner of AGK and he seemed to be a really cool guy. he was vary enthusiastic about MB's. This trans is for a 79cc Harbor freight engine and I don't know if it will fit the honda or HS engine. I handled the jack shaft at the "Death Race" and it seamed pretty durable. looked hand made (USA manufacturing :))the owner (wish i could remember his name) expressed a concern about the engine case fatiguing over time but his bike was really fast on the track.

Attachments

Last edited:

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
I've been trying to compile a list of 4 stroke gearboxes available on the market. I'd appreciate one of the more experienced members to make a list thats more accurate.

"Hoot."- Seems like theses are the most available but also the cheapest and least durable. There have been numerous threads describing complete failures after a short period. There are two types, first version is a gear mesh and an updated version uses a chain

Grubee Stage III and II gear box- These are better that the Hoot but are noisy and the engagers break. It is a gear mesh and the box is filled with oil which some say causes more friction

Grubee G4. This is the latest Grubee gearbox. Its belt driven and available with and without an engager. There have been some bad reviews about this box being too wide and the freewheel breaking. Regardless I'm planing on buying the box from Spooky Tooth cycles when they get them in. Roland is a good guy I'm sure he'll help me out if it breaks.

EZM Q-matic - claim to fame is that its all american. the box was designed by "Quenton Guenther." The claim is that its the best box on the market but you have to pay for it. It's quite expensive. I think EZ MOTORBIKE COMPANY makes two types, one with a manual clutch and one with a centrifugal, not sure which is which. Helmutt cycles is using this box with a belt drive http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=12773
the EZM 'Q-Matic' is a automatic with a max-torque made centrifugal clutch
the EZM 'Silent-Drive' is a manual version
both are a belt drive primary and chain secondary design (although, as mentioned, the manual is easily converted to a belt secondary)

I forgot to mention...
at this time, the manual 'Silent-Drive' is only available with a kit
the auto 'Q-Matic' is available in kit form or as a stand alone replacement for Honda GXH50, and HuaSheng 142f as well as a few other 4cycle engines with a 5/8" drive shaft

Firebelly hardbox- This one is also expensive (350) and I don't think there are any to be had. I've never been able to log on their website firebellycycles.com/ and the only info I found on it was off this forum. They even advertise on this site.

Sick bike parts shift kit
- I'm not sure where I read it but I think SBP is using a Firebelly hardbox to make a 4 stroke shift kit. If its performance is anything like their 2 stroke shift kit, then It'd be worth the money.

Staton- Staton-Inc motorized bicycles, bike kits & gear drive kits. I don't know much about this box but I've heard its good. Its a Gear mesh that's machined in the US. they sell a Nuvinci CVT kit that looks really cool. the box is intended to mounted on a rack.

Please, Please add to this list. Please mention each box in your reply so that It can be a running list and someone won't have to search this entire thread for a complete list.

Last edited:

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
Just for clarification, SBP 4 Stroke Shift Kit will not be limited to any one specific gear box. Shooting for early January release. However, due to the variations in the gear box designs, the first version of the kit will be specifically designed to work with the Hoot gear drive box and Grubee Stage II and III gear box. Once that hits the market we will continue to alter the kit to work with the EZM gear boxes, Firebelly gear box and the Grubee belt drive box. Hope that clears some things up.

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
"Hoot."- Seems like theses are the most available but also the cheapest and least durable. There have been numerous threads describing complete failures after a short period. There are two types, first version is a gear mesh and an updated version uses a chain.
Hoot comes in linear gear and helical gear so actually there ar 3 types not 2. Other than that it looks like a very accurate assesment if 4 stroke drive trains.

From what I can tell none of the 4 stroke kits compete with 2 strokes ( yet) in terms of overall reliability and certainly cost. I have a HT with 14k on it (and no compression) which is far more than any 4 stroke. I have 4 chinese HS kits and several engines gathering dust so would love to hear of any success stories regarding 4 strokes.

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Hey thanks for the mention. Your info is basically correct.
The 1st gen FireBelly HardBox was a general success. Though there's some retro engineering that had to happen to those so we're spending the winter testing the redesign. Many new products are in development.

We apologize for the frustration w/ the website. We expected to be finished long ago. But we hope you'll all check us out when we're up and running shortly!

Mrs. FireBelly and I are feverishly data entering (me) and writing code (her) to launch the FireBellyCycles.com website. It is long overdue and we are very excited to be almost finished! Thanks again, Evan FBC

MaxPower

Jul 1, 2009
Sierra Vista AZ
Please add to this. Trying to make this list as factual as possible. It would be great if some one could add links to manufacturers/dealers and price estimates.

Last edited:

WayneC

Aug 2, 2009
Clearwater, FL
Since nobody else has mentioned them, I'd like to add the pocket bike (X2) CVT. I use it on my Subaru/Robin EHO35; direct bolt-up. Works on 2 strokes too FWIW.
Works on Honda, Huasheng, others with 76mm clutch. Neat Times has 'em on both. Many chain and sprocket combos
available. This is one source: Fancy Scooter: Gas Scooters and Electric Scooters Retail and Wholesale
Ebay and scooter sites have 'em too.
Check out my build at the link below.
WC

Last edited:

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
I just got one of the Hoot boxes. It is the gear model. The reason I went ahead and got this one is that 1, it was not expensive and 2, I think I have found what it needs. I was working on one of my friends engine and found that there is no indexing of the gears. I took the cover off and found the gears were just about out of the teeth. I found that the back cover has no dowel pins to locate it to the engine. They just bolt it on and hope for the best, if it is moved slightly to the rear the gears are out of mesh, if it is moved forward it is too close and makes a lot of noise. I snugged the two inside screws and then installed the large gear, next I took a rubber hammer and tap'd the cover in the direction it needed and found the place that the gears were in proper mesh, snugged up the fasteners with a little extra wally. Next I took all the stuff that looks like grease out ( wonder what it is ) and filled the box with 3 oz. Hydraulic oil (no foaming) the box sounds quiet and so far runs smooth. I will keep you posted. Have fun, Dave

PS: The vent needs a mod. Look at the size of the intake. I think I need to find a carb to fill that hole!

Attachments

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
I just got one of the Hoot boxes. It is the gear model. The reason I went ahead and got this one is that 1, it was not expensive and 2, I think I have found what it needs. I was working on one of my friends engine and found that there is no indexing of the gears. I took the cover off and found the gears were just about out of the teeth. I found that the back cover has no dowel pins to locate it to the engine. They just bolt it on and hope for the best, if it is moved slightly to the rear the gears are out of mesh, if it is moved forward it is too close and makes a lot of noise. I snugged the two inside screws and then installed the large gear, next I took a rubber hammer and tap'd the cover in the direction it needed and found the place that the gears were in proper mesh, snugged up the fasteners with a little extra wally. Next I took all the stuff that looks like grease out ( wonder what it is ) and filled the box with 3 oz. Hydraulic oil (no foaming) the box sounds quiet and so far runs smooth. I will keep you posted. Have fun, Dave

PS: The vent needs a mod. Look at the size of the intake. I think I need to find a carb to fill that hole!

awesome! now theres 2 of us! all i did to my gearbox though was shim the clutch bell out a few milliliters, and put in a ludicrous amount of industrial grease, let me know how far it lasts, mine is coming close to 1000kms now, but i havnt been riding much due to the cold, mine doesn't whine under acceleration but it whines when i let of the gas, thanks and good luck!

Gator Wrestler

Jan 22, 2009
Springfield LA
I just got one of there kits.(Gas Motorized Bicycle 2 Cycle 40cc Chain Drive Rear Mount Motor Kit | All Gas Powered Bicycle Motors | Live Fast Motors - Gas Motorized Bicycles and Gas Motorized Bicycle Parts) I havn't been able to find much info about the gearbox. I think it's a 3 to 1 reduction chain/sprocket box. This setup uses the 78mm cent. clutch so swapping up to another engine will be possible. Instructions on the web site are poor/incomplete. I have asked the vendor for better instructions. Anyone have experience with this kit?

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
I looked at their site and the box you have is one of their own. Looks like it will work ok and will be easy to maintain. It is something like the Dax but with ought the gearbox full of oil. Just keep good clean oil in that engine and you will have many happy miles in front of you. Have fun, Dave

I just got one of there kits.(Gas Motorized Bicycle 2 Cycle 40cc Chain Drive Rear Mount Motor Kit | All Gas Powered Bicycle Motors | Live Fast Motors - Gas Motorized Bicycles and Gas Motorized Bicycle Parts) I havn't been able to find much info about the gearbox. I think it's a 3 to 1 reduction chain/sprocket box. This setup uses the 78mm cent. clutch so swapping up to another engine will be possible. Instructions on the web site are poor/incomplete. I have asked the vendor for better instructions. Anyone have experience with this kit?

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
I got the Hoot kit today. The engine and box look good but the rest of the kit is poor. The pedal bits are for a 20" bike and can't be used the tank is the small one with two dents. It came with two throttle grips and no plain matching grip. It came with the chain guard for the two stroke engine (no way to attach) the motor mount is the plain one that has no way to fit to anything remote like the frame I am using. I do like the drive portion they are using Allen screw's to hold the box together and it is full of oil, not grease. Ill change that lube to the hydraulic oil. It was only 220.00 so I guess I got what I payed for. My buddy is going to install his over the rear wheel, that will be easy. Oh well Ill keep you posted. Have fun, Dave

Attachments

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
I got the Hoot kit today. The engine and box look good but the rest of the kit is poor. The pedal bits are for a 20" bike and can't be used the tank is the small one with two dents. It came with two throttle grips and no plain matching grip. It came with the chain guard for the two stroke engine (no way to attach) the motor mount is the plain one that has no way to fit to anything remote like the frame I am using. I do like the drive portion they are using Allen screw's to hold the box together and it is full of oil, not grease. Ill change that lube to the hydraulic oil. It was only 220.00 so I guess I got what I payed for. My buddy is going to install his over the rear wheel, that will be easy. Oh well Ill keep you posted. Have fun, Dave
thats exactly how i got mine, i never used the chain guard to begin with anyways, the mount plate was rough but it fit on my bike easy, and the gearbox had that oil in it, i tried to fill mine like i think your planning on doing, the problem is the clutch is right in there, so if you fill it will liquid of any kind the clutch slips, i found really think, high temp industrial grease works wonders!

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
Grease probably is best, but it requires more maintenance. An oil that doesn't foam should work fine. I've been using marine grade gear oil in mine for a couple of years. If the oil foams, that's when you get problems. The foam creates air pockets between the clutch pads and the bell causing slipping and heat. Also, you only need to fill it with enough oil to cover a small portion of the bigger gears. The big gears will "pick up" the oil and transfer it to the smaller gears. I added a little bit of Lucas transmission no slip to the oil in my boxes.

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
I took the box apart today, the gears are bevel cut just like the ones in the two strokes. A slight cut not like a motorcycle. It was full of engine oil I cleaned all that out and added the hydraulic oil. One thing that was way out was the alignment of the gears the clutch gear was inside of the large drive gear by nearly 1/4" I made a spacer on the lathe and now it is nearly in line, if I move it out any more I think it will hit the outside cover. I think there is a misunderstanding of the lube that is used in clutch gearboxes. Every automatic trans in every car that was ever made was immersed in oil, the Ford T had all its clutches in the same oil that the engine ran in. Grease on the other hand has a film action that is so high if it gets on the clutch you would not get far, just a note, Don't use STP. I had a guy bring an old Honda motorcycle in said he had no gears. I tried the bike and I could tell it was going in gear (the clunk) but I could push the bike in reverse with my feet with the clutch out, you guessed it he had added STP. I cleaned it out and the bike would do weelies again. Have fun, Dave

PS: I was going to mention the carb has a bad flat spot just off idle, I know what that is, their are tiny holes in the passage just behind the throttle plate. I guess it is too hard to drill for the fellas that made the carb, so it will be interesting to see if I can get it to run better with that carb.

Attachments

Last edited:

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
"Whisper Drive"

"ShellyBelly Whisper Drive" prototypes are built and ready for testing.

Models to be available for all common motors and configurations.

The 1st 2 are specifically built and geared for the Lifan, i.e. Harbor Freight and Power Pro 79cc and 98cc (pc'd) 2.5 hp motors.

dnut

Attachments

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
I took the box apart today, the gears are bevel cut just like the ones in the two strokes. A slight cut not like a motorcycle. It was full of engine oil I cleaned all that out and added the hydraulic oil. One thing that was way out was the alignment of the gears the clutch gear was inside of the large drive gear by nearly 1/4" I made a spacer on the lathe and now it is nearly in line, if I move it out any more I think it will hit the outside cover. I think there is a misunderstanding of the lube that is used in clutch gearboxes. Every automatic trans in every car that was ever made was immersed in oil, the Ford T had all its clutches in the same oil that the engine ran in. Grease on the other hand has a film action that is so high if it gets on the clutch you would not get far, just a note, Don't use STP. I had a guy bring an old Honda motorcycle in said he had no gears. I tried the bike and I could tell it was going in gear (the clunk) but I could push the bike in reverse with my feet with the clutch out, you guessed it he had added STP. I cleaned it out and the bike would do weelies again. Have fun, Dave

PS: I was going to mention the carb has a bad flat spot just off idle, I know what that is, their are tiny holes in the passage just behind the throttle plate. I guess it is too hard to drill for the fellas that made the carb, so it will be interesting to see if I can get it to run better with that carb.

yes that bad flat spot, i have that too,