I want to paint my engine black

GoldenMotor.com

gstrope

Feb 19, 2009
texas
Sorry if this has already been covered but I couldn't find it. I want to paint a silver 2 cycle engine black with hi temperature paint. Anybody else done this?

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy Gtrope. I personally have not painted an engine/motor. Thinking that could look pretty awesome. I didn't read any of these yet but there are some real wrench artists here;

https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=partn....tab=0&gsc.q=painting motor engine&gsc.page=1

Just read a couple and seems to be easily doable. Very cool! Hey, if you do paint your's, post pics? I'm really curious.

Might be too funky lookin' but be really unique to have a matched frame & engine?

gstrope

Feb 19, 2009
texas
Howdy Gtrope. I personally have not painted an engine/motor. Thinking that could look pretty awesome. I didn't read any of these yet but there are some real wrench artists here;

https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=partn....tab=0&gsc.q=painting motor engine&gsc.page=1

Just read a couple and seems to be easily doable. Very cool! Hey, if you do paint your's, post pics? I'm really curious.

Might be too funky lookin' but be really unique to have a matched frame & engine?
Hey thanks for searching that out for me, there are a lot of good sounding ideas

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Just use engine paint from your local auto parts store. ;)

And, it doesn't need to be "high temperature paint". I've painted them with Krylon, Rustolium, and Dupli-Color automotive touch up. The only area that can be heat effected is right at the exhaust port but even then unless you're running lean and for prolonged periods regular enamel will hold up well.

Some paints can be attacked by gasoline so a test area would be a good idea or a gasoline compatible clear coat over the color works too.

Tom

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
That is great! I would have started looking at the high end, high temp stuff. Also Gstrope, Tom and Bairdco are who I go to with questions like this.

So what are ya thinking? (anyone remember "dippity-doo"? That would be a lil on the clownish side but was thinking urban-camo. That would be funky looking.

There was a high end, Zombie killer/fighter MB. (No kidding, it either came with a crossbow and a folding pickaxe or just had mounts for them) But it was camo'ed and really did look cool.