Rear wheel locking up intermittently

GoldenMotor.com
Feb 2, 2017
California
So, I noticed it was getting harder to pedal as if the rear wheel is being squeezed by the brake even though it's not. Upon more pedaling, I can hear a loud squeaking sound, I tried to listen intently to see if it's from the rear wheel bearing or the motor, it seems to be coming from the motor, appears to be from the clutch drive sprocket. I think the drive sprocket is having trouble spinning thus causing the drag, when I get off the bike to push it, the wheel would be hard to turn and would lock up upon a few rotations. My question is......what can I do to remedy this? Would adding more grease cure it? Or is it something else, like inside the motor?! :(

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2017
California
check to see if chain is rubbing inside drive cover
I don't believe it's the chain jamming up inside the clutch cover, I know how that is like because it's happened to me more than a few times.... this time it's different, it doesn't 'lock' up, but more like a drag, like a fishing line when you play with the drag thing on your fishing pole. Like I said, I think it's from the clutch drive sprocket being hard to spin.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Take the chain off & start doing some testing...
Does the rear wheel spin freely?, does the engine spin easily when the spark plug is out??

Look around & try to find the problem.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
chain will sometimes rub on the cover itself - don't try to figure out what it is, just open things and look - also look at races for wheel bearings as a few tiny cracks in there can make it drag

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
chain will sometimes rub on the cover itself - don't try to figure out what it is, just open things and look - also look at races for wheel bearings as a few tiny cracks in there can make it drag
Could be. If so you should hear the scraping sound. You did not say if this was a coaster brake or a multi speed rear wheel. From your description of the prob. only. I would guess maybe your clutch cable has stretched and now you need an adjustment. lock in clutch lever and see if rear wheel turns freely. If the wheel doesn't spin freely go to the motor end of the clutch cable and unscrew (counter clockwise) the adjuster in the block a turn. Or till the wheel does spin freely.

Feb 2, 2017
California
Yeah... it's a very loud squeak!! I thought it came from a car about a block away or something until I realized it was my damn bicycle. I'm just afraid it might be a bearing from inside the motor. :(

I'm too lazy to do all that clutch adjustment work, too much read. I will ride it as is and see how far it takes me. :)

Feb 2, 2017
California
I think I know!!! pull off right side cover check to see if the screw holding small gear which drives the clutch has come unscrewed. Common issue... remove screw re-install with blue locktite before things get fe'd up in there.
OK, thanks.... I might try that if I give it a once over and can't find the problem, could very well be it.