Can't Free wheel, clutch or cable?

GoldenMotor.com

MotorN00B

Dec 24, 2016
Cali
Hi all,

First I'd like to let you know i've encountered this problem before. A while ago, my bike would not freewheel. Upon doing some research, I unscrewed the engine cover and whacked the Flower Nut with a hammer and that fixed the problem.

Recently however, my clutch cable (I think that's the problem) has becoming more loose and loose. I need to progressively extend the clutch tension-er (I think that's what It's called, the screw and bolt right next to the clutch engager on the handlebars) so as to get the bike to dis-engage.

I tried tightening the clutch tensioner, to bring it closer to stock, and now cannot disengage the clutch, and thusly cannot free wheel.

My first attempt was to repeat the hammer thing, to no avail. I also tried tightening and loosening the flower nut. Also didn't solve the problem.

I think the problem may lay in the actual clutch cable.
On my clutch cable there is a small screw ontop of the arm which secures the clutch cable in place. I took this screw out, pushed the clutch arm as close to the carburetor as I could, and pulled the clutch cable tight. I then screwed the screw in.

After doing this, when you touch the clutch on the handlebars, It feels tighter, but then pulling it farther to fully disengage results in the clutch cable slipping out of a fully tightened clutch arm. Why? What's the solution? Also, clutch arm seems a bit wiggly, how wiggly should it be and how can I fix this?

Thank you!

(P.S. This is what I mean by 'Clutch Tension-er' http://prntscr.com/dzc2r6)

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
new cables stretch a lot - adjustment at the hand lever is only to get you home because the threads there are way too soft to hold for long

you must adjust the cable at the clutch arm on top of the drive cover

sometimes after adjusting cable you must re-adjust clutch, but not usually on a new motor

search the board here for a lot more info

MotorN00B

Dec 24, 2016
Cali
new cables stretch a lot - adjustment at the hand lever is only to get you home because the threads there are way too soft to hold for long

you must adjust the cable at the clutch arm on top of the drive cover

sometimes after adjusting cable you must re-adjust clutch, but not usually on a new motor

search the board here for a lot more info

What is "the hand lever?" Could you list out steps for "adjusting the clutch at the clutch arm on top of the drive cover?"

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
hand lever is the lever on the handlebars - I've typed out all the steps for adjusting over 100 times on this board - please search a bit