Newbie from Marietta, GA has questions

GoldenMotor.com

EliRush

Mar 30, 2013
Marietta, GA
Hello all, I have been viewing this forum for a while, and have researched the motorized bicycle for longer than that. I am ready to get one, and have chosen a cruiser style, with a 49cc 4 stroke or larger 2 stroke engine. The main thing I am concerned about is this:

How many of you are being harassed/fined/ticketed/jailed/hung/crucified for riding these things? The laws are clear, but many cops don't seem to know the law, or don't care, or fine you for violations anyway.

I have read the laws for GA, and they are clear enough to get me fined for riding it without a motorcycle license and tag, and a giant DOT helmet. I would imagine that cops would just write tickets ad nauseum because of the nature of the bike. Has anyone had experience with the law, and cops, and actually using these things in suburban traffic in GA?

I have read the law, so cut and paste isn't what I am looking for. I am wondering if the <49cc limit would 'get me off' of a ticket or pull over, if I claimed it was a moped? The DMV has no clue what i am talking about, and won't license a bicycle, and they thought it was funny when i asked how I would get a motorcycle license by bringing the bicycle to the DMV for the test. The thought of backing it into the motorcycle test area makes me laugh, too.

Any relevant, real world experience would be great...I really want to ride this thing 13 miles through Roswell to my job and back. Without being stopped by a blue-stripe gang member shaking me down.

I would be riding it on Roswell Rd (4 lane, 45mph roadway), or nearby two-laned alternatives. I have a car with insurance, and a normal DL.

THANKS!

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
In Arizona, I used to carry a few pages of the state statute containing motor assisted bicycle info folded up in my tool back in case an officer was unaware of it. I think its is sufficient to be able to tell the officer which statue (title no, article, paragraph) authorizes your motor assisted bicycle on the public road, as he can access the statutes quickly from his patrol car.
There will always be a few officers out there that insist that any motorized vehicle on the road requires a license plate and insurance. If you carry the reference info to the applicable state statute on your bike, it may save you from having to make a court appearance.
Is the Big Chicken still standing in Marietta? We used to drive past it on the way to my grandmother's house.

Last edited:

picklefish

Mar 25, 2013
Merritt Island, Florida
Im in Florida and the language of our State Statutes are sufficiently broad. I also must say that its personally untested so I cant vouch for the effectiveness. The major point is what defines a bicycle, more importantly what changes the bicycle into a motorvehicle. For my defense I cite the "Any device generally recognizeable as a bicycle" and the Motorvehicle definition specifically excluding "Any bicycle". Since it was purchased as a bicycle and is not Department of transportation certified as a motorvehicle (ie frame and safety features of a moped or motorcycle) guess what?......Its just a bicycle that happens to have an engine on it and is to be treated as a bicycle. Man I hope that works!

bigdbeach

Mar 16, 2013
Fort Worth Texas
I have had cops here in Fort Worth stop me in downtown just to look at it and ask questions. I road through TCU campus today and went by a city cop and campus cop and nothing.

Wild Bill

Jan 29, 2013
Camarillo So. Cal.
If you are going for the typical Chinese 2 stroke I wouldnt worry about getting busted for engine size, they arent stamped or marked in any way for engine size. One of the companies that advertise here sells a side cover marked "49 CC". Also someone here was printing 49CC stickers. Now Im not advocating you lie to law enforcement..... well I guess I am.

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
I'm in Acworth, GA just about 10-15 miles from you and have not had any issues with cops. I use a Bicycle helmet when I ride. You can get a 1/2 face DOT moped/scooter helmet pretty cheap off eBay and they are not that big. To my knowledge of the Georgia law which I try to abide by, you need to be below 50cc and the bike has to have pedals. The written law is pretty basic and doesn't address motorized bicycles specifically but rather they are considered Mopeds. A standard drivers license is needed and when on main roads you should have lights and follow all road laws just as a bicycle would. I don't have turn signals so I use my arm and use the proper signals.

In general if you don't act like a crazy person zooming in and out of cars and try to adhere to the standard rules of the road you should be ok.

We go routinely go by the Big Chicken on the way to Krispy Kreme to take the kids. Maybe we will see you cruising sometime.

Enjoy the ride!
brnot

picklefish

Mar 25, 2013
Merritt Island, Florida
If you are going for the typical Chinese 2 stroke I wouldnt worry about getting busted for engine size, they arent stamped or marked in any way for engine size. One of the companies that advertise here sells a side cover marked "49 CC". Also someone here was printing 49CC stickers. Now Im not advocating you lie to law enforcement..... well I guess I am.
Mine came with a riveted plate that says 66cc. Im not worried about it though, its a bicycle.

EliRush

Mar 30, 2013
Marietta, GA
Ah yes, the Big Chicken. It broke down and didn't even work until they repaired it some time in the late 80's. I am still going to get the cruiser, so maybe I will see you around sometime!

I have decided to experiment with riding one, and carry the statues in a bag and hope they aren't too Nazi-ish. I will just insist it is a moped and go to court, if need be. I'll make it a precedent, and fight for us.

Chances are I will ride the thing all over and never have a problem.

I'll post pics when I get one!

picklefish

Mar 25, 2013
Merritt Island, Florida
Actually in my first week of riding this thing around Ive had more "trouble" from the bike itself and absolutely no interest from the cops. I just bought kevlar tires and xtra thick tubes with self sealing goo.

So my advice is tighten all nuts daily, secure secure secure! thin metal will shear apart from the vibrations so reinforce reinforce or replace with thicker.

Tires dont hold air in my area of the world, buy better quality tubes and tires!

that pretty much covers most of my issues, the rest require professional treatments.

EliRush

Mar 30, 2013
Marietta, GA
I am naturally mechanically inclined, so I would always make sure the bike itself is in tip-top shape.

I have been researching this today, and it seems that many people ride without problems, and one poor guy in OR got nailed with 300 hours of community service on top of hefty fines. He was using it to get around after getting a DUI, which a lot of people do.

What seems to bust people most often is going fast. Most of the busted stories I find are from the cop ticketing you for running over 30mph, then tacking on a bunch of motorized bike, moped laws. Only the most retarded cops bust someone for riding the ICE assisted bike without breaking any laws...but it does happen.

I will investigate actually trying to comply with law...and see what the DMV in GA says about it. Reply soon.
usflg

EliRush

Mar 30, 2013
Marietta, GA
No response from the county about anything...I don't think they want to touch it.

I have decided on the bike, though. I am getting the Mantis Colossus from Walmart (green one) and a China Girl from ebay...total cost should be about $400 with lights and helmet, and extras. I'll post pics as soon as I get it put together!

EliRush

Mar 30, 2013
Marietta, GA
Yeah, that one is a clown ride for sure. I am going with a 29er, I always rode 26" bikes until they started making the 29's...I am 6'4" and they are awesome. The Colossus is the best looking 29er MTB I have found for under $200. The Genesis 29 has a smaller frame.

Still torn on electric or gas...been researching like mad, and I think the extra money might be worth it. I was all set to do a china girl, but those EV's are so sweet...and I could tack on a smaller solar panel, maybe? Would have to figure out the electrics, but that is no problem for me. With the right setup, I could bypass the charge controller altogether.

If I could do an electric for under $500 (300 for stuff, 200 for bike) I would be a happy camper!

LAguyyy

Super Skilled Master Newb
Feb 25, 2013
Honolulu, hi
Navy guy here in Hawaii and only had 2 run ins with the man. Honolulu police dept and base police, pulled over on 2 seperate occasions, both just wanted to see my bike and told me to enjoy! As long as I follow the traffic laws I won't burn a great thing for everyone.