Would this full suspension bike hold an engine?

GoldenMotor.com

FourFrequency

Nov 6, 2011
Allston
This is my brother's old Jamis Dakar Sport mountain bike from highschool.

I'm looking to do a build and I'm wondering if this would be a good option. I wanted to put a basic 49cc Grubee motor in it.

Let me know if you think it will work or not.

leadfarmer

Sep 30, 2011
VA
Looks too small with the shock to mount an engine, maybe a slant head...but it looks too small. Also, from what I understand you can't use a bike with rear suspension in a sprocket drive(maybe a jackshaft, but someone more knowlegeable will come along)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Rear suspension is not a good idea. As the rear wheel moves it will loosen and tighten the chain. We recommend staying away from rear suspended frames unless you plan on a rack mount, either friction or chain drive where the engine moves with the wheel.
Tom

jt1111

Sep 18, 2011
Oregon
Could you do a rear suspension if you are running a jack-shaft to a rear derailer? I was under the impression that this setup would work ok.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I would do a rear rack mounted motor on a suspension bike like yours. There doesn't appear to be enough room for a frame mounted 2 stroke motor on that bike.

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
This is my brother's old Jamis Dakar Sport mountain bike from highschool.

I'm looking to do a build and I'm wondering if this would be a good option. I wanted to put a basic 49cc Grubee motor in it.

Let me know if you think it will work or not.
Look at this and tell me why you shouldn't motorize it!

Here's the link below to jschattes motorized mountain bike:

http://motorbicycling.com/f42/jschattes-bike-build-34416.html

jschattes motorized mountain bike:

jschattes motorized mountain bike:

You can do it!

C.H.

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder
You're gonna have some difficulties getting the sprocket on. The rear disc brake is in the way. You could get a jackshaft/shift kit, top hat adapter, or there's a few home remedies around here somewhere.
I'd also suggest getting a 66cc. No one is gonna measure your bore and stroke and the engine is smaller than some other 50cc's. But certainly up to you.