Welding chrome?

GoldenMotor.com

Edrockmcboy

Jul 6, 2011
Arizona
Is t possible to weld a chrome bike i have a chopper style but its a bit short i want to weld it so it will be long to fit me it feels short, i also dont want it chrome i want to paint it idk what the the colors wil be post some pics of your guys so i can get ideas of colors and graphics i wanna get something sick air brushed on a back fender definatly. I will post some pics as soon as i find a way to
http://motorbicycling.com/images/smilies/shft.gifhttp://motorbicycling.com/images/smilies/Trk.gif

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Chrome is just the plating. The frame is most likely steel. The steel I know gets two other coatings of other metals plated first. It think it is first nickel and then silver, before the chrome goes on?

In any case I know that some metals are much worse to breathe any of the vapors while welding than others. Chrome, Stainless Steel (Chromium in it), & Galvanized Steel (has Zinc in it). I know there are some gas masks which are low profile that fit under a welder’s hood. A good fan and venting are important.

If it is really Steel underneath, removing all the plating and welding steel to steel can be done. A tricky way, but again ventilation an also safe practices using acid to etch away the plating is what I have heard is done to get the zinc off of galvanized steel. Power tools with sanding and wire brush may do it too.

Measure Twice

satoch

Jun 2, 2011
Chicago
I have the same issue. I just dropped my chrome frame off to have it stripped. I'm gonna paint it when done anyhow. You can't weld to chrome as it will contaminate, and weaken, the weld.

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
have a chrome shop reverse it $20 if its all rusted dont use it. and they wont to polute their tanks. chrome is so hard that it wont flex. so it cracks usally at the welds. since its bonded with the other softer metals they like to crack also. a good example is [see how old i am] the movie easyrider, fonda's capt america is going down the road stiff as could be compaired to billy's bike. all the race frames are nickol plated. those old H-D frames were made out of plumbers pipe and chromeing them [lots of em] were ruined cracked junk in no time. i know bmx has chrome but no viberating motors or fat guy's

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
It's true that welding over the chrome will contaminate the weld... But I've done it for welding on small 'tabs' & such without any problems. You can easily sand off the chrome in the area where the weld will be applied for a propper weld.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
I weld over chrome plate on a regular basis.
Yes, it will contaminate the weld to somewhat less than perfection.
My welds ain't perfect anyhow.
I would grind it off the area if I wanted to xray the weld, or for any hi-speed critical work.
It does not seem as bad as galvanized steel to me.
THAT's horrible!
rc