Times Are Tough: what is the cheapest good kit around

GoldenMotor.com

ZRTMWA

Feb 23, 2010
Baltimore, Maryland
I got a kit from the second link Aaron posted, except it was black and was only $122. My only complaint about the kit itself is that the picture showed it with a black muffler and it came with a chrome one. Not that serious. I'm still working on getting it on.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
No matter what kit you get just remember to be prepared to upgrade some parts and modify some of the others, for instants, you will likely need to solder up and then redrill the main jet in the carburetor to a small Dia. hole like maybe a #73 wire gauge , you may need to modify the idler set up so that it will stay put on your bike and not rotate in toward the spokes and cause a huge problem by drilling a hole through the idler and just into the outside part of the bike frame so you can install a self tapping screw to hold it in place once you figure out where it needs to be, you will likely need to replace the engine mounting studs front and back, and the carb. stud and exhaust as well, because the studs that come on these engines are very soft and will cause you trouble down the line most likely, you will need to likely replace the sparkplug boot and and the plug wire while your at it this helps as well, both of my BGF engines run very good but I had to do all of the above mods. in order to get them to the somewhat dependable stage, so just be prepared to make some mods. on any engine kit you deside on. these are all simple inexpensive fixes and upgrades but will make any of the engines work much better in the long run. Good Luck......and becareful.!

.mbv.

Last edited:

TheE

Jun 26, 2009
Canada
What you want to look for is good customer service; the kits themselves tend to be "hit and miss" from pretty much anywhere. I've been very satisfied with Zoombicycles' customer service, my kit was missing parts and they shipped me new ones, free of charge. There is a pretty exhaustive list of dealers in the "find a dealer and review sticky".

Last edited:

RedB66

Dec 28, 2007
Sunshine State
No matter what kit you get just remember to be prepared to upgrade some parts and modify some of the others, for instants, you will likely need to solder up and then redrill the main jet in the carburetor to a small Dia. hole like maybe a #73 wire gauge , you may need to modify the idler set up so that it will stay put on your bike and not rotate in toward the spokes and cause a huge problem by drilling a hole through the idler and just into the outside part of the bike frame so you can install a self tapping screw to hold it in place once you figure out where it needs to be, you will likely need to replace the engine mounting studs front and back, and the carb. stud and exhaust as well, because the studs that come on these engines are very soft and will cause you trouble down the line most likely, you will need to likely replace the sparkplug boot and and the plug wire while your at it this helps as well, both of my BGF engines run very good but I had to do all of the above mods. in order to get them to the somewhat dependable stage, so just be prepared to make some mods. on any engine kit you deside on. these are all simple inexpensive fixes and upgrades but will make any of the engines work much better in the long run. Good Luck......and becareful.!

.mbv.
Newcomers reading this may be overwelmed.......

Although these mods may help... they are not necessarily a must. You can by an engine kit , install it properly and have a good riding bike.

Sure, there are preventative steps in the build that will help with ease of installation. Read up and ask questions.

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Newcomers reading this may be overwelmed.......

Although these mods may help... they are not necessarily a must. You can by an engine kit , install it properly and have a good riding bike.

Sure, there are preventative steps in the build that will help with ease of installation. Read up and ask questions.
In this post I was only being realistic in what I have had to do and what many other on this forum have said they have also had to do in order to get there bike running right and dependable, anyone reading this post has the option of disreguarding anything that does not apply, but at the same time all the things I listed with maybe the exception of having to drill the jet will make there engine more dependable and they need to know that probably 90% of the time there will need to be some mods. made in order to get there bike working the way it should, I figure if these kits were just a very simple bolt on and go, we would not have 1000's of post on this forum asking for fixes and people who have "been there done that" providing how to info. for fixing all the many issues most encounter with most all of these kits.

only trying to be helpful to any that apply, these are all easy mods and if someone is unable to proform these they may need to go a different route than these kits or they will likely just be frustrated start to finish with them. this was for information purpose only, NOT a solid must do....

I wish everyone the best of luck with their builds but newbies to these kits need to understand this is not just bolt up and forget it technology here, it's low tech China stuff with very loose spec in design.

Have a good day biking everyone.....! .weld

sajoe

Jun 3, 2009
San Antonio TX
I didn't include all that stuff because I thought it was kind of a given. I studied these forums over and over before starting my install. So I guess I took all those mods for granted. A couple of other things that might help...... I used a double sided foam sticky ( the kind you mount phone jacks to the wall) under the fuel tank to take the stress off of the studs. I wrapped a high quality electrical tape around the frame at every point where stuff is mounted to the frame. I use star washers and double nut everything that it is practical to do so. SBP has the hardware kit for 12.00 so the money you save on the kit can go there. I use the Tractor Supply # 41 chain 15.00 for 10 feet which should give you 2 chains. There a ton of very cheap or free mods described in the forums that will make these kits very enjoyable. I love my MB and take offense to the negative stuff said about them. They are what they are and you only get out of them what you put in.

Happy Easter!

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
My first build I did kind of blind. I didn't know about this forum and spent a lot of time fiddling with this and that trying to get the chain aligned, etc. Once I got her going it was a 12 year old's dream come true and something I wanted fifty years ago. You can do OK with what comes stock in a kit and have a blast. Probably some problems will come up now and then and you'll become more knowledgeable as you go. Down the line you'll no doubt become something of an expert and will have made some of the improvements mentioned in this thread. But when all is said and done, it's a bicycle with a simple little motor on it without a whole lot of money involved (unless you get in deep). Sure, try to do a good job with your initial install, for sure wear a helmet and don't try to go too fast at first. Mainly though, have some fun! Get 'er going and ride! If you want to get all serious about it later that's fine, too. Life is too short to get your pants in a bundle about every little thing.
SB

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
My first build I did kind of blind. I didn't know about this forum and spent a lot of time fiddling with this and that trying to get the chain aligned, etc. Once I got her going it was a 12 year old's dream come true and something I wanted fifty years ago. You can do OK with what comes stock in a kit and have a blast. Probably some problems will come up now and then and you'll become more knowledgeable as you go. Down the line you'll no doubt become something of an expert and will have made some of the improvements mentioned in this thread. But when all is said and done, it's a bicycle with a simple little motor on it without a whole lot of money involved (unless you get in deep). Sure, try to do a good job with your initial install, for sure wear a helmet and don't try to go too fast at first. Mainly though, have some fun! Get 'er going and ride! If you want to get all serious about it later that's fine, too. Life is too short to get your pants in a bundle about every little thing.
SB
Amen...................! (p)

gubba

Dec 29, 2008
jacksonville, florida
many of the dealers take a motor back on warrant, fix it and sell it cheap on ebay.... i have KNOWN this to be the case...

you get what you pay for

stay dry
gubba