Never opened a carb, do you recognize this problem?

GoldenMotor.com
Aug 23, 2009
British Columbia
Hey guys. I'm having a small but messy fuel leak from somewhere in the carb. Or around the carb. I can't figure it out. It is around the top of the bowl seal, on the bottom screw, on the primer screw, on the rear mount, frame, and where the kickstand is! It's everywhere. It doesn't leak out when sitting, it's being forced out somewhere while I'm riding. It's not safe for me to ride and inspect, so I've taken pictures with my 1.3 MP phone camera, as close as I could, using one of my LED headlights as lighting, attempting to show you my exact problem. I haven't wiped this fuel mess in a couple of days, so this is accumalated over time. Anywhere you see that familar blue, is obviously fuel, but, once past the rear mount, it turns to a dark, wet sludge that I'm not sure the camera picked up too well. The fuel seems to be focused mainly on the side opposite fuel line entry, so the side with the primer and idle screw.

I'm buying a new chopper very soon, so really, I am not paniking about this, but if there's a painless way to fix this, I'm sure it's a good idea. Fuel on the outside of a super hot engine is probably not too good. Lol. Anyways, here are the pics, any input would be appreciated. Thanks guys, take care.

Attachments

stv1jzgte

Feb 11, 2009
australia
If you do a search on fuel leak there are 26000 threads on this subject, if it goes fine its normal.
my whole bike looks like that crap its what happen when you ride em everyday.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Honestly - I've experienced much the same problems with the NT... it's one of the reasons why I chose to experiment with the CNS. While all non-reeded 2 strokes will backblow to a certain extent (which may be all yers is doin') and it may just be time to clean that filter... these things just leak lol

I suggest rebuilding the carb frm scratch and look for any casting flaws & ridges (smooth as needed), using very small amounts of silicone to ensure a good seal on all fittings and gaskets. Make sure your float is properly adjusted and be sure to use hose clamps on the line... and good luck w/it. My first carb actually had/developed a hairline fracture as well.

After countless rebuilds, fixing all the gasket surfaces, and endless fussin' with the floats... I've managed to get it to an "acceptable amount" of leakage, but they are just kinda sloppy.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I would-
1. Clean out the float bowl and float needle and run an inline filter.
2. Check/replace the gasket and make sure the float bowl screws are tight.
3. Clean the air filter and do not oil it when done.
4. Check you float level.

It looks like it's coming out of the primer, which usually means the float bowl is over flowing.

SlowBalt

Mar 8, 2010
Rhode Island
I was having a problem with a leaky float bowl. After taking the bowl off, I found that the bowl had a little round impression wear they cast it. I'm talking about little circle shaped casting marks. casting marks .On side of the bowl wear my carb was leaking from, the round mark was slightly raised. I used my dremel and polished it flat and it solved my issue.

Aug 23, 2009
British Columbia
I have made an observation, seems my fuel leak might actually be coming from the fuel cock on the tank, where the tubing attaches. There is fuel up there, and it would make sense, it runs down the tube, to the top of the bowl, around the bowl, down the rear mount and to the kickstand. I think I've figured it out.

kla63

Jul 15, 2009
NEW HAMSHIRE
Hey guys. I'm having a small but messy fuel leak from somewhere in the carb. Or around the carb. I can't figure it out. It is around the top of the bowl seal, on the bottom screw, on the primer screw, on the rear mount, frame, and where the kickstand is! It's everywhere. It doesn't leak out when sitting, it's being forced out somewhere while I'm riding. It's not safe for me to ride and inspect, so I've taken pictures with my 1.3 MP phone camera, as close as I could, using one of my LED headlights as lighting, attempting to show you my exact problem. I haven't wiped this fuel mess in a couple of days, so this is accumalated over time. Anywhere you see that familar blue, is obviously fuel, but, once past the rear mount, it turns to a dark, wet sludge that I'm not sure the camera picked up too well. The fuel seems to be focused mainly on the side opposite fuel line entry, so the side with the primer and idle screw.

I'm buying a new chopper very soon, so really, I am not paniking about this, but if there's a painless way to fix this, I'm sure it's a good idea. Fuel on the outside of a super hot engine is probably not too good. Lol. Anyways, here are the pics, any input would be appreciated. Thanks guys, take care.
it's called fuel exspantion!!!! fuel get hot it wiill ooooze out in the heat!!!!

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I've also had success w/the littlest zipties as "hoseclamps"... use a pair of needle nose pliers to crank 'em down as tight as ya can w/o breakin' it and trim.

shearbf

May 8, 2009
Muskegon,MI USA
A slow leak of anything on any machine is always from the highest point you find it.
If it stops at the top of the float bowl, not fuel line or higher,then it's probably the float or float valve,(stopper). Very easy to take apart & check & clean.
There are really only two things to check. A float that don't float, or the valve seat & stopper not closing off fuel.
Your pics. came to my screen very small so I could not tell anything from them.
GOOD LUCK!

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
The mini hose clamps worked for me too.

Mine leaks some and after a while I figured it is coming from the filter, esp at low speeds/open throttle. Its just blowback and waste fuel.
This is why some people use a boost bottle. I only seem to have a mess if I idle a lot or do a lot of low speed chugging. Be sure and use your fuel shutoff when you park more than 5 minutes.

I used to DIY repair commercial walk mowers. Sometimes the bowl float or needle valve would stick on them, esp new motors, making them idle high and stall cyclically, or making them leak in the truck bed. Maybe this happens to happytimes.

Last edited: