Cable Question

GoldenMotor.com

skaz

Jan 27, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Re: Cables

You can just use a brake cable for the clutch. As for the throttle, probably also a brake cable with something special done at the end, don't have a bike in front of me to look at.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Where can I get longer throttle and clutch cables? With my large handlebars, I need like a foot longer for both.
I am not sure but I think BikeGuyJoe is set up to make cables. I am sure some one here is and think it is Joe. At any rate, he would know who to ask.

europorsche914

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster, PA / Newark, DE

I swapped all my cables for BELL brand brake cables for the thicker cable. For the throttle cable end that attaches to the slide I cut the cable at the desired length, heated the cable, and put a glob of solder on the end. Been workin that way for 1000 miles ;) -Justin

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.

Motorcycle shops can make you a good throttle cable... bring the old one with you to match the tips!
You can use a bicycle brake cable for the clutch.

Last edited:

jimbob

Mar 3, 2009
Illinios
Cable Questions

What are the average length of the clutch and throttle cables in the average bike kit? The Build I will be doing will be a Huffy Cranbrook with 25" ape hanger bars. I am assuming that both cables will be too short. Am I correct to say a normal ( of proper length )brake cable would work for the clutch if the kit cable was too short? Where or what could I do for a longer Throttle cable? What I am building will be very like the first bike in Venice bikes picture forum ( I don't know how to post the picture) My kit is do here in a couple of days according to UPS. I am just trying to get all my legwork out of the way before that Any advice would be appreciated Thanks Jim

jimbob

Mar 3, 2009
Illinios
Re: Cable Questions

Thanks for your advice, I love your old shwinn chopper in your picture gallery. I am doing something similiar.