Yamaha RD400 re-build

GoldenMotor.com

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland
Since I've been pretty much gone from the forum I thought I'd come back and show you what I've got myself into lately.
My faithful old 1976 RD 400 sat by it's lonesome for the past 29 years in a garage waiting for me to get the time, and money to revive it. Well that time finally came last August and I've put countless hours and dollars putting her back together the way I've wanted it. No bolt, nut nor moving part hasn't been painted, polished, or replaced. I've had some of this country's best 2 stroke tuners and racers work on this motor with me to put together an instant recipe for success. Trust me the world of 2 strokes is still alive and well out there.
I love the old 2 strokes and there is NOTHING like the rush of hitting that power band around 7,000 RPM and feeling the insane power surge while that front wheel unintentionally launches itself right off the ground.

For almost five years I rode my china girl around just dreaming of reliving my teen years with the RD. As time went by I grew tired of being a gutter rider and shoved off the road on my bicycle. Unseen, barely heard and taken advantage of by every cager on the road. Now I'm not worried anymore about keeping up with traffic,because for sure traffic cannot keep up with me. This was bucket list #1 for me after my heart attack back in 2011.
Recently nominated for bike of the month on 2 Stroke World.com
Midlife crisis maybe, time machine back to my youth definitely!!!

TiM

Attachments

Last edited:

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Sweet. You really spiffied that up nice!

I really hate 2 strokes, but I like that one - :)

At least it doesn't have some ridiculous mile high seat on it.

spanners

Oct 5, 2011
east coast Australia
Stunning bike , an RD400 was the last bike I owned, so to see this one so nicely restored brought back a lot of great memories . I hade a painted white one with chambers , I loved that bike.
cheers spanners

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
That RD is beeautiful! You should be proud of doing such a magnificent restoration on it.
I still have a soft spot in my heart for them. They are sooo awesome.

In high school a few of my friends had RD350's and RD400's
I was 1/2 owner of a H1.
I also was the mechanic that kept them all alive and running safely and strong.
I really miss that H1. It was stolen from me and my friend one rainy night.
I would love to get another one or even an H2, either one equipped with a swing arm bushing eliminator kit of course.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Tim,

If that is a midlife crisis you managed it very well. What a beautiful bike. The Silverbear and I will be down your way in August. We'll be in touch.

Steve.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
The RD Twins are a BIG reason I love ringdingers so much!
Wheelie popping, speed limit destroying hooliganism at it's very finest!
LOVE your bike!
*envies you*

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I've been wondering where you went and what you've been up to. I thought maybe the hot summer was keeping you hopping and getting home tired.

About the bike? What can I say that hasn't been said. One beautiful restoration that I know you must be very proud of. Congratulations and thank you for sharing it with us.
Have fun and ride safe. Oh, and drop in occasionally just to say hello. Okay?

Tom

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland
Thanks for the warm reception guys!
You sure made me feel great about being back.
I gotta say this place is still my favorite family of 2 wheeled obsessed builder fabricator genius maniacs anywhere.
Yup, I been doing just fine..
Mike...thanks
Chain ..I'm still cookin like a madman
Jeff..Don't quite know how fast it goes, frankly a little scared to find out
Spannner...get one life is short
Gearnut..H2's going for BIG$$$ these days
Fast Eddy ...stay in touch ...say hi ti SB
Maniac..2 strokes are great mosquito repellant too
Tom..easy summer..boss is worried I'm leaving for Florida soon..forever
always lurking here but my 2 cents is only worth a penny nowadays.
Here's a pic of the engine when I still had it on the bench:
Watch this video::::::http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nknwaGl8Ao8
TiM

Attachments

Last edited:

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Good for you. Wisdom is supposed to come with age.

I can tell you that I have never ever found out how fast ANY of my motorcycles can go. And that dates back to bike #1, a 350 Honda.

But hey, I'm still ridin' and nobody has scraped my flesh off the street - :)

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Hehehe!
For me, the H1 had a top speed of 145 and the engine was not close to being wound out.
The rear end would start to oscillate badly and the thing would develop awefull speed wobble. This was due to the rear swing arm pivots being mounted in rubber bushings.
I still don't know how fast that road rocket could really go...

This is why I highly revere the RD series. They handled like a dream! They could hold a line like a train on rails, never got speed wobble, and could lift the front tire off the pavement anytime you wanted, even at freeway speeds if you slipped the clutch a little.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Love that old RD, man! Those things are the most manageable rockets I think I've ever seen. A buddy of mine back in Mansfield had one. He'd lean forward some, then take off like a shot. I loved how it was always so quick. It could go! Right now! And it stayed under him.
And no matter how I pleaded, he would not let me on it. Said I'd get a ticket or a jail cell inside of one ride. He was probably right about that.