New 4 stroke motor...........

GoldenMotor.com

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA
Just installed my new friction drive unit and 4 stroke motor from thatsdax.com. So far....I am extremely impressed with this unit.

It's *very* quiet and the torque this puppy puts out is way better then any 2 stroke I've owned.

The instructions are very specific on break-in......the first 500 miles are to be ridden in a very conservative manner and the valves will also need adjusted occasionally.

I am able to climb the same hill I would have to go 3/4 to full throttle on my 2 stroke.....the 4 stroke has *way* better low end torque-all I needed to get up and over the same hill with the 4 stroke was 1/4 throttle.

I think this motor will fit my riding style very nicely, I'm not sure what the top end speed is like with this unit, but since I like to go about 20-25 mph most of the time-this unit is going to work very well for me.

It seems to go 20 mph with the throttle barely cracked....it will be interesting to see what this piece will do once it's fully broken in.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Great info. donutguy

I look forward to hearing more updates on how it is working out for you, I've been looking at getting one of those setups myself, I'm currently working on a homebuilt FD using a small weed wacker engine on a 20" bike, I know it wont be very powerful but it may be a fun setup to play around on just the same.

I'll bet that 4 smoker is pretty smooth running too.......

Peace, map

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA
Mapbike......it is a world of difference in the smoothness dept.

I also *LOVE* how quiet it is. It's too early to tell which motor is faster as the 4 stroke needs 500 miles to fully break in and the instructions say to take it easy. Not all that concerned anyways...as long as it helps me get up hills:)

I use donutguy as my handle because I am a pastry chef and I make bakery products (and donuts) at my job.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.

I also *LOVE* how quiet it is. It's too early to tell which motor is faster as the 4 stroke needs 500 miles to fully break in and the instructions say to take it easy. Not all that concerned anyways...as long as it helps me get up hills:)

I use donutguy as my handle because I am a pastry chef and I make bakery products (and donuts) at my job.
Do you also make these kind of dnut ? I like dnut dnut and 4-strokes

dnut

oldtimer54

May 15, 2010
On a bike

Cool I also make donuts and was just asked if I wanted a job helping a friend start a donut shop. Soooo do you role out your donut dough or do you do a batter? I go for the batter my self.

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA
Actually Oldtimer.....I make both.

The yeast raised donuts are more popular, but we still make about 15% of our production with cake donuts.

Donut shop? That's a lot of work and a LOT of hours to start up a new bakery :)

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Cool Doughnut. Always fun to read that things are going well.

I have yet to build a FD but the first time I rode one, was in love. Just so smooth and (was a rack mount) all the vibes and noise were aft and I was moving forward. On top of that, no engine to try and peddle around. 4 smoke guy here as well.

The 2 strokes are beautiful but for ridding, just prefer the 4's.

Post some pics when ya can!

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA
For sure.......if I had known how smooth 4 strokes were-I woulda started off with one. Just the fact that it is so darn quiet has me sold. I ride with some of my non-motored friends and noise has always been an issue.....I'm pretty sure my buddies will like the change.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Speaking of the 4 strokes here, I've noticed that Duane has the Titan XC50 which is claimed to produce 2.5hp @ 7500RPM's and he also has the XC50S which claims 3.0hp @ 7500 RPM's.

Each of these engines show to be the same 48.8cc's and look identical so I'm wondering what the difference is in them.......?????

If they are both the same CC engines and they are both governed at 7500RPM's what is making one of them .5hp more than the other?

Just curious....Shrug!

Any ideas fella's?

Peace, map

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA
The difference is torque. To get up a moderate hill....I only have to crack the throttle open maybe 20%. The "S" motor has more torque. I've noticed that so far-the 4 stroke motor has way more low end grunt then my 2 stroke motor from thatsdax.

The 2 stroker has way more top end, but I think the 4 stroke is gonna be a good match for my riding style.....I like going about 20 mph most of the time and it seems like the 4 stroke does this without even breaking a sweat.

The 2 stroker was just "coming on the cam" at 20mph....not much torque at that speed....if I had to go up a hill with the 2 stroke-I need to get a decent run at it and even then-near the top....the motor would start to bog down somewhat. The 4 stroke doesn't bog down nearly as much.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Alright then I know I will be going with the 3hp engine when I'm ready for the nice FD, I just finished my home built one today, it is a 25cc 2 smoker and it has ZERO GRUNT..........pretty sad actually, but it is what it is and it does what it does, it will hit about 25mph on the flat wityh my 200lb butt on it so Iguess it will be OK on the pavement where it is flat,but hills kill this thing pretty quick.......

Thanks for all the info. donutguy.

Peace, map

The difference is torque. To get up a moderate hill....I only have to crack the throttle open maybe 20%. The "S" motor has more torque. I've noticed that so far-the 4 stroke motor has way more low end grunt then my 2 stroke motor from thatsdax.

The 2 stroker has way more top end, but I think the 4 stroke is gonna be a good match for my riding style.....I like going about 20 mph most of the time and it seems like the 4 stroke does this without even breaking a sweat.

The 2 stroker was just "coming on the cam" at 20mph....not much torque at that speed....if I had to go up a hill with the 2 stroke-I need to get a decent run at it and even then-near the top....the motor would start to bog down somewhat. The 4 stroke doesn't bog down nearly as much.