Sub-forum category for unanswered questions

GoldenMotor.com

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
We enjoy looking at the threads that contain great pics and sometimes forget to answer the threads with direct questions. I am referring to specific questions, rather than questions like "What is the best engine kit for me".
Maybe we could move threads with unanswered questions to a sub-forum entitled "Unanswered questions". We need to make sure we assist the newbies so that they don't get bummed out with installation problems and lose interest in the hobby. Thanks

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
We enjoy looking at the threads that contain great pics and sometimes forget to answer the threads with direct questions. I am referring to specific questions, rather than questions like "What is the best engine kit for me".
Maybe we could move threads with unanswered questions to a sub-forum entitled "Unanswered questions". We need to make sure we assist the newbies so that they don't get bummed out with installation problems and lose interest in the hobby. Thanks
WB,
Can you show us a specific thread where this has happened? I personally follow a lot, if not most technical questions posted by newbies. I'm not aware of this happening often enough to warrant a new sub-section to address them.

Most questions get some response. As with most, they are based on member experience and are opinions but my feeling is that the vast majority get replies and are not left unanswered.

Not knocking your suggestion, just would like to see some examples of what you're referring to.

Tom

Rich909

Apr 9, 2014
Redlands, CA. USA
FWIW ...there is a way to know how many threads have NOT received any answers. Go to 'Advanced Search' and in search criteria enter only: 'at most' in the show dropdown for number of replies, which should be ZERO by default.

I just did this, and 500 came up in the search results. It may be that many of the threads did not ask a question or require any response, but you'd have to examine a number of them to reach that conclusion.

If this is a USEFUL idea, you may find some other ways to optimize the search by limiting the posting date range for example.

HTH

--Rich

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Very cool of you to look out for folks like this, WheelBender. Seriously, it's that kind of caring for other folks that make here & and the people so good to hang out with.

Just found a couple of threads with no response. It is a bad feeling to feel ignored or dismissed. Especially for some one new, who may not feel all that comfortable in a new environment. Or worse, the new to internet folks. But any one who starts a conversation and no one responds. Just a bummer.

Just Thanx, WB.

----------------------------------------

Rich, I just did as you suggested. Uber cool! TY. I've been "here" for 6 or 7 years and didn't know that trick.

http://motorbicycling.com/search.php?searchid=1650200

Had no idea I had missed so many. Folks here really are great and look out for each other. Saying hello and welcome to new members. Replying to unanswered threads, etc. But some times they do get buried or just plain missed.

You guys rock!

Desert Rat

Jul 30, 2012
Apache Junctoin Az
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=57136
OK here's a question I haven't gotten much help with. looking at these readings
good or bad and notice the jump in ohms from 2 to 5, what difference
would it make?

Finally pulled out the multimeter
and used 2doors giude actual readings at bottom

2door
Default Re: testing a magneto?
If you have an ohm meter, your dad will know how to use it, try this:

Use Low Ohm-Meter Scale About 200 Ohms

Magneto Coil

1) Check Ohms between BLACK wire and WHITE wire. Reading should be around 2 Ohms
2) Check ohms between BLUE wire and WHITE wire. Should be around 300-400 ohms.

CDI

Use Ohm Meter High Scale About 200-K
1) Positive lead on BLUE wire and Negative lead on BLACK wire should read infinite (no activity)
2) Positive lead on BLACK wire and Negative lead on BLUE wire. Should be about 130-150 K-ohms
3) Positive lead on Spark Plug wire and negative lead on BLUE wire. Should read between 135-155 K-ohms

Switch to Low Scale 20K
4) Measure between Spark Plug wire and Black lead. Should be about 2.5 - 2.7 K- ohms

As for keeping water/dirt out. Make sure the gasket is good or seal it with a small bead of silicone and fill the hole where the wires exit the case with the same silicone sealer.

Tom

Actual readings

Use Low Ohm-Meter Scale About 200 Ohms

Magneto Coil

1) Check Ohms between BLACK wire and WHITE wire. Reading is around 5.2 Ohms
2) Check ohms between BLUE wire and WHITE wire. is at 350 ohms.

CDI

Use Ohm Meter High Scale About 200-K
1) Positive lead on BLUE wire and Negative lead on BLACK wire should read infinite (no activity) check
2) Positive lead on BLACK wire and Negative lead on BLUE wire. is at 139.5 K-ohms
3) Positive lead on Spark Plug wire and negative lead on BLUE wire. is at 152 K-ohms

Switch to Low Scale 20K
4) Measure between Spark Plug wire and Black lead. Should be about 2.5 - 2.7 K- ohms
following these instructions its at 6.6 ohms

Beyond taking the readings I don't know what they indicate
please help
Thanks
Ron

Last edited: