Ryo's Cafe/Cruiser/hot/ratrod bike thing.

GoldenMotor.com

Ryoskate

Nov 30, 2015
Houston!
Hey guys, I've been posting my stuff on Rat Rod Bikes but the motorized section is pretty dead there so I decided to move / double post here. If you want the full thing so far, do go to the original post here, http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/ryos-budget-rat-hot-rod-bike-build-temporarily-revived.90331/

But I'll wrap it around post most of it so far.

- - - - -

I started thinking about building a motorized bicycle around summer of 2014, but with some concern for State laws and safety, I decided I'll save it for later. But the "itch" to build something came back and I bought a bike to start with back in February.

B]The bike:[/B] 1990's Trek cruiser with straight downtube. It should be a Pre-Electra cruiser. Chime in if you have more info about it...

Original plan was to get a huffy cranbook. But after hearing nightmares about welds coming apart, I decided to get something a little more... proven... Came across the bike for $50 on craigslist.

Because I wanted the overall stance of the bike to be low, I went ahead and bought this cheap bent springer fork... BUT LET ME TELL YOU THIS RIGHT NOW. NEVER. EVER. BUY this dang fork because it is absolutely dangerous. Not only is it wobbly from the thin tubing that's pressed half way, the bend COMPLETELY throws off the rake angle, gives it negative trail and makes it UN-RIDEABLE!!!! I will explain in depth later in the thread.

Now it would be cool if someone put pneumatic actuators or air suspension on the fork and make some sort of functional lowrider bike.

Also, the head tube on the bike was too long for the fork, so I had to do some fiddling around.

Mock up of the parts before figuring out how to mount any of it.
I liked the look of it here. I really did. But the fork, GAH, it's unrideable.

Ryoskate

Nov 30, 2015
Houston!
I over-engineered the Banana-seat mount, just so I can get the perfect look I was going for. I've changed a few things here and there by now, but it's the same for the most part. I'm not a big fan of coaster brakes, so I also mounted the Tektro C326, which are just about the biggest side-pull calipers you can buy. They clear my baloon tires easy.

Now this was the Rake / Trail thing I was talking about. Ignore the part about welding the plate but take note how the Bent springer gives it negative trail which should NEVER EVER be used on any bicycle / chopper / or motorbike. An example would be the front wheels of a shopping cart. They always want to go one way, and what the bent spring is doing is just that. It's going the opposite direction of the way it wants to go and that's why it wobbles.
The diagram on the right shows a positive trail. Usually bikes don't need this much trail, but they should have zero to a few inches of positive trail.

- -
Some months passed since I assembled the bike togather.
- -
Recently, I got a OCC stingray fork for free! A friend of mine got the whole bike as a trade and he didn't really want it anymore.

OCC stingray fans BEAWARE, I'm going to cut this fork to make it fit the bike in the next few pictures. You have been warned.

Functionality without the looks is a turn off for me. So I finally decided to rake the frame to get the trail I need and the looks I want.

Last edited:

Ryoskate

Nov 30, 2015
Houston!
No turning back.

Before:

After:

Tack welded for now... I can't weld very good so I'm going to let someone else do this crucial part for me. Would hate to have it come apart at 40mph.

Here is the Stingray triple tee fork shortened, and assembled back togather. Rode around the block and it's STURDY. My god, how did I even ride around with that other fork.

I also cut the Inner frame of the banana seat to match the width of the tank.
Also cut, weld, and grinded the handle bar that came with the bike to something a little more sportier. This weld, I did a lot better on since it was pretty thick.

I think I'll finally get the motor for Christmas instead of fixing the Datsun.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You, sir, are well on your way to building one down and dirty, cool looking ride. I think a lot of us will be watching this thread. Keep the updates coming and good luck.

Tom

Ryoskate

Nov 30, 2015
Houston!
Started working on the upholstery while I wait for Christmas parts to arrive ;)
This is going to take a while.

Also forgot to mention on this forum, but I modified some cheap vinyl banana seat to fit the contour of the bike. Front has been cut and the rear has been raised slightly.

Last edited:

Ryoskate

Nov 30, 2015
Houston!
A few more stitches to go. Changed the pattern halfway... Invested way more time than what this cheap vinyl banana is worth. Oh, and it's hand-sewn... absolute PITA!

Last edited:

Ryoskate

Nov 30, 2015
Houston!
In for this build! Looking good. What is that tank from?
First off, thank you guys all for the kind words.

But to answer your question, I have no idea... I bought it on ebay as "moped gas tank"... Might be a Garelli? Can't find any of the same though.

Ryoskate

Nov 30, 2015
Houston!
Seriously... Who wants a rabid green horse on the middle of the motor?

Wow, this frame really lets you mount the motor low. I'd have to figure out a better way to mount it than to "wrap" it around the frame... I have an idea, but that's after I finish the motor.

Anyways, as with anything that I didn't build, I take apart to inspect, then use.

Nasty lack of care to the intake manifold... Nice of them that they made it out of cast though...

Before:

After: Still a lot of kink but whatever. the rough edges are gone.

Ryoskate

Nov 30, 2015
Houston!
Nothing excessive but some burrs on the ports.

Before:

After: It looks wider but it's the camera angle. All I did was deburr it and smooth the ports. Won't mess with the porting until I have full idea of what to do, especially since I'm new to 2 strokes.

relatively large exhaust port, ruined by the port-mismatch at the exhaust flange... I really don't know if I'll remedy that... Making square steel tubing can be PITA w/o tools.

Before:

Ryoskate

Nov 30, 2015
Houston!
Yikes...

Partially polished a few parts. Nothing blingy but makes it stand out a bit more than the rough straight-out-the-mold texture.

And well, Just as I was about to call it a day, I went ahead and tried to dis-assemble the rest of the motor. I got down all the way to the bare block and the bevel gear stuck to the crank. But while trying to remove the damn flathead bolt that's holding the gear, I ACCIDENTALLY DROPPED THE D*** CRANK!

So I get off my a** and bought a impact driver. Got the flathead bolt on the first blow... I set up the crank to where I can spin it freely by it's self and yup. It's BENT.

Ryoskate

Nov 30, 2015
Houston!
So... I spent the whole day today rebalancing the crank statically with a regular caliper since I don't have a dial indicator... Redneck.. I know, but I did a couple of blows with a mallet and it seems like it's pretty straight again... But then I notice it bent the rod too, my goodness how weak are these d*** things?!?!!

Honestly, that was the biggest and silliest mistake I've made so far and I'm still pretty p***ed about it. I did straighten everything out to the best of my abilities so F it, I'm just going to put everything back togather and see how it goes.

Waiting on a lot of misc parts to arrive but USPS and Holiday season doesn't match. I hope none of my packages are lost.