SkyHawk chain won't fit Manic Mechanic sprocket adapter

GoldenMotor.com

rijopiatt

Dec 30, 2009
Indiana
I've been off this project a while and have forgotten some details. The chain that came with the SkyHawk does't mesh with the 40 tooth Manic Mechanic Sprocket adapter I bought. I purchased a chain at the local Tractor supply that meshes, but is 1/4" wide (much wider than the supplied chain). Someone on the forum had sent me info on making a spacer to fit behind the drive sprocket to keep the chain from rubbing on the back. They suggested modifying a lock washer, but that leaves very few threads for the drive sprocket nut. Addtionally, I'm concerned about the lateral slop on both sprockets. Am I overly concerned, need to be looking at other options or ....?

All feed-back appreciated.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
I've been off this project a while and have forgotten some details. The chain that came with the SkyHawk does't mesh with the 40 tooth Manic Mechanic Sprocket adapter I bought. I purchased a chain at the local Tractor supply that meshes, but is 1/4" wide (much wider than the supplied chain). Someone on the forum had sent me info on making a spacer to fit behind the drive sprocket to keep the chain from rubbing on the back. They suggested modifying a lock washer, but that leaves very few threads for the drive sprocket nut. Addtionally, I'm concerned about the lateral slop on both sprockets. Am I overly concerned, need to be looking at other options or ....?

All feed-back appreciated.
As you know the kit chain is crap, so I tried a few chains before I settled on what I am riding. First I tried some old chain from a garage door opener, seemed stronger than the kit chain, worked, but was extremely sloppy. Next tried some industrial/farm chain. I got ahold of some #40 chain, it was SUPER STRONG but really large and heavy, TOO large, although the pitch of the chain works fine on the sprockets it was extremely wide and was going to rub on the motor and maybe even grab a spoke. So I finally got ahold of some #41 chain, while it is pretty close to #40 when you read the specs on paper, when you hold it in your hand you can tell the #40 is quite a bit larger than the #41....
The #41 chain works GREAT on my bike (with all stock sprockets). I have no rubbing at all under the drive sprocket cover now, even though this chain is much larger than the kit chain, the kit chain had all kinds of slop and it rubbed all over around the drive sprocket. At first I wondered if the #41 was gonna be too large to go around the drive sprocket without rubbing, after riding 800+ miles with it I have had no problems, around the drive gear the motor still looks like new.
So that's my experience with chains, figured I would pass it on. Not sure if this is helpful to you since you have this aftermarket sprocket, but the #41 worked great for me, #40 was a no go. I'm not sure which one you got?

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA