4-stroke in frame shift kit... what fits?

GoldenMotor.com

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Most new builds have some teething problems. Mine sure did. I have the earlier SBP 4-stroke motor mount with less reinforcement. Came with really crappy bolts too, IMO. It twisted on me alot at the beginning. I had to bolt on an idler wheel for the larger jackshaft chain to keep it from throwing all the time. The mount adjustment never kept the slack out of the chain. My first carb worked fine for about 110 miles and then promptly went to crap. I rebuilt it a bunch of times, swapped out jets, it just never worked properly again. I had to buy a new carb. Then, my 4G's clutch drum broke. I got it welded, problem solved. Then my clutch would engage too early due to weak springs. Another member sent me some heavier springs, and that took care of the problem.

Labor Day this year is my bike's 1 year birthday. Last year on Labor Day, my bike ran on it's own power for the first time. I went 62 miles that first day, and only issue I had was the main chain stretched a lot and snapped right at the end of the day. 40 miles later all the teething issues started showing up. I took me until January to fix all of them.

Since the end of January, I have not had one serious drivetrain issue. Since the 2nd carb, the motor has always run good. Being a HS, it's a little down on power (I rode my brother's GXH50+Q-matic bike for over 200 miles while my bike was down and the Honda motor feels much stronger) but it's still an industrial 4-stroke. I spent 4 years commuting on a chinagirl 2-stroke and I'd have to do more tinkering in a week with a china 2-stroke than in 6 months on the 4-stroke.

My bike has 2670 miles on it right now, and it feels like it has many more! :D

Last edited:

locutus_1

Oct 31, 2010
california
seems there is no real solid garantee with these things... its all sorta cross your fingers ride see what happnes hope you dont get stuck.. this is why i never go more than i can ride back home on my own power even though its a heavy bike now lol

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
No, there's no guarantee at all. But at least you have an HS. I honestly believe they are far better engines than any of the 2-strokes. My HS struggles to hit 30MPH with any kind of headwind, but I wouldn't trade it for 5 40MPH 2-strokes. Not the way she purrs at 15-25. Honestly. I value reliability over speed.

seems there is no real solid garantee with these things... its all sorta cross your fingers ride see what happnes hope you dont get stuck.. this is why i never go more than i can ride back home on my own power even though its a heavy bike now lol

locutus_1

Oct 31, 2010
california
the hs are not that far off from hondas... im 300 lbs i get 1/2 thortle flat ground no wind about 24 mph and crusing at 20 with a 60 tooth sproket and 10 ouput 20 is fast enough for me also i put in lighter springs so the clutch shoes engage just after thorttle the stock ones you have to go full open and they burn up the clutch hardly engage.....

but 20 is fast enough on a bike a buddy of mine got up to 26 hes 150 lbs though.. but still its fun.. not a daily driver..

i plan to ride mine 5 miles out to my local air port then come back when i get it that reliable..

there great little motors not desined for this.. best thing would be a brigs with a gocart clutch 6.5 hp real hill climber but then again police would be pulling us over lol

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
My brother's Honda GXH50 takes him well over 30, he's seen 42 a couple times. Only hills and the hardest headwinds slow him down. He weighs about 195 and has tall apehanger bars, too.

I'll smoke him off the line, and he won't catch up til about 25. But I pedal and have gears. If neither of us pedal, I'll still smoke him to 20, but he'll go flying by. The non-genny HS are rated at about 25% less power than the Honda GXH50, due to compression and build quality differences.

locutus_1

Oct 31, 2010
california
besides, riding faster really takes away from the scenery.. and also i think theres more react time to car doors being opened on the side of the road when your rideing i have a few streets like that almost happened :).duh.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
You can use the stock G4 spindle. Its very close to 5/8" to fit the freewheel adapter. You can have it machined to fit. I turned mine in my small lathe to fit, then aligned the freewheel adapter and drilled a hole for the set set screw .250 deep. Replaced the set screw with a high strength allen bolt and that was it. You could do this with a drill press and a file if you are careful and mic the shaft size frequently.
My HS tops at 35+ on the flats not much faster in 6th than 5th, so its probably over geared, but it is very relaxed around 30 which is a good cruise speed for it. It still has the restrictive stock exhaust though. In 1st it tops around 6mph, and will climb just about any hill you can find. It is a worth while conversion.

locutus_1

Oct 31, 2010
california
thanks for the advice... im trying to do everything on a budget if i get the shift kit ill be out of money for a long time.. so i guess the welder will be my best friend.. terry from blowbyu thinks what i have could work as it is.. but then again i dont have the product in hand to test it out before buying