Will a Worksman work?

GoldenMotor.com

Paul491

Mar 18, 2010
Oceanside, CA
Newbie here, getting ready to pull the trigger, but it's never too late to reconsider...

Observation:
1. I'm looking hard at the American produced EZ motor kit because I like a 4-stroke (California is down on 2-strokes...). I also like the heavy-duty cart-type clutch set up?. New, strong, steel bicycles seem to be almost non-existent. The Worksman bicycle looks the best so far and is also American made. The fact that it can be ordered with some pretty heavy-duty stuff like big gage spokes, steel wheels, balloon tires, front drum brakes, springer front end plus a strong steel lugged frame, makes it quite enticing and IMHO, worth further investigation and counting on your opinions...

Since it appears this particular engine/frame combination is typically a no-go...
I have a couple questions:
1. Can the lower top tube be cut out to allow more clearence for the engine without deminishing the overall integrity of the frame?
2. And if so, would it be a good idea to weld in front and rear gussets to strengthen the remaining top tube? Any ideas?

A strong bike would be really good because I just am an ol' bear, still holding 6'4" and tipping the scales at about 300 lbs.

Thanks in advance for your consideration and advice.

Cheers! Paul

Last edited:

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
I have heard of people bending the lower cross bar for clearance

I was asking Quenton about this the other day,,,he told me you need 9" from crank to the lower bar to fit

Paul491

Mar 18, 2010
Oceanside, CA
Hey, Bill, thanks for your response,

Okay, cool idea, how would a person "bend" the lower cross bar?
Use heat?
Have to stretch!?
How much and where would it have to be bent to get the needed clearance?

Bummer, bending or removing that second cross bar will just about eliminate any possibility of using those really cool "in-frame" gas tanks offered by Pirate Cycles... but hey, in this case how things work out just may prove to be the direction this project takes.

As far as removing the lower top cross bar, I'm still liking my original idea, unless you guys can convice me otherwise. Go with gussets? Follow with small saddle peanut tank? Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Paul, look in the Boardtracker section at Pair of Panther thread. Silverbear has a couple old bikes that work well with the EZM setup, and they are American bikes. The Worksman is nice but will require modifications of some sort. Good luck, Dan

Paul491

Mar 18, 2010
Oceanside, CA
Hello Tinsmith, we've been on the same page! Although I have been looking for the past few weeks, I haven't had much luck locating a Schwinn Panther, only occasionally seeing a high-priced "collector" bike. For a few more $$, a Worksman can still be ordered brand spankin' new with all the good stuff I would be eventually adding to an earlier/older frame,anyway. It now appears the main thing lacking in the Worksman equation is vertical clearance for the 4-stroke engine installation. So, the if second cross bar needs to go, I'm somewhat bummed but willing to live without it.

Ahhhh, another question comes to mind: Considering comments have been made on other threads regarding bulkier 4-stroke engines and their requirement of wider pedal/crank extensions for increased pedal to engine clearance and easier pedaling. Can these after-market kits be installed in conjunction with the factory optioned sealed rollerbearing kit? If, so, which one is best?

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
If you want to run a Worksman INB frame and plan on making frame mods you can also loop the down tube to gain more clearence for the EZM. The Panther is a good option, too. If you keep looking I am sure you'll find one. I just helped a local here in California with his Panther EZM build. It has one of those in-frame tanks I hear people talking about and we custom fit a pedal crank to his build by heating and bending the arms of a one piece crank, then set it up with a 28t front sprocket. Really cool build. Here is a link to the EZM Panther build. http://motorbicycling.com/f38/1st-build-progress-panther-w-ez-30773.html
Good luck,
Pat

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Paul, Yes I got a 3-piece wide pedal crank for the worksman. I'll have to ask SB where it came from because I can't remember. It fit fine. I posted some photos last night of my worksman modification Maybe they'll give you an idea of what you can do. Oceanside huh? Spent some memorable time in that area at Pendleton (1969) Lovely place! Dan

Paul491

Mar 18, 2010
Oceanside, CA
Hey Dan,
Yep, Oceanside is turning into a pretty nice lil' town with quite a few shady lanes to cruise around on, plus the Strand along the beach is just a hop, skip and jump away.

First, where do I find your pictures? Who's "SB"? 3-piece wide crank set? Nice! Before the upgrade, did your bike the plain or sealed crank bearings? I believe this is the last option I need to decide on before I pull the trigger...

.shft.

Cheers!
Paul

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
The section with pics of my bike is the Board Tracker section. SB is the Illustrious Silverbear (Pair of Panthers). My bike had just plain crank bearings and I just drove the races out and put in the new ones that came with the wide crank. I'll get with SB about where the crank came from. Dan