Bad vibration all over

GoldenMotor.com

sofasurferlinux

Jun 24, 2009
Davison, Mi
I got my first build running now and I am so happy (see pics). But it vibrates really bad. And I noticed that the engine is actually moving off center a little. I used the rubber in the motor mounts. But how tight do I tighten the mounts? If I make them super tight it will make the mount to compressed that they won't absorb the vibration (I think) and if not tight enough the engine moves. What the proper proceedure?

Attachments

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
you want the mounts tight,but dont overtighten them and break a stud.
even with the mounts tight the rubber will dampen the vibrations and will depend on the thickness of the rubber and what its made out of.

loose mounts will cause more vibrations,plus if the engine moves the chain will come off.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
I got my first build running now and I am so happy (see pics). But it vibrates really bad. And I noticed that the engine is actually moving off center a little. I used the rubber in the motor mounts. But how tight do I tighten the mounts? If I make them super tight it will make the mount to compressed that they won't absorb the vibration (I think) and if not tight enough the engine moves. What the proper proceedure?
If it is vibrating really bad, at all RPM, you have a defective engine.

Jim

sofasurferlinux

Jun 24, 2009
Davison, Mi
Do you have a better recommendation for the rubber than the inner tube pieces?
Defective engine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Please don't tell me that.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
i use old handle bar rubber grips that i cut in pieces to fit my mounts.
they got rid of most of my vibrations.
make sure your mounts are tight,but dont overtighten your nuts or studs will break.

my bike vibrated like a amusement park ride before i used rubber on my mounts,now i have almost 0 vibrations at all speeds. plus i change my peddals for rubber exercise bike peddals and i wear boots when i ride.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Do you have a better recommendation for the rubber than the inner tube pieces?
Defective engine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Please don't tell me that.
If the engine is vibrating badly through the entire RPM range...you have a bad engine.

No amount of rubber, or rigid mounting, is going to make it go away.

A lot of these engines will have a bad vibration at a specific RPM. This vibration will dissipate as the engine RPM's increase or decrease.

Some vibrate mid-way when accelerating up to cruising speed.

In other words, you leave from a stop and a bad vibration occurs at 10-15MPH and subsides once you reach 20-25MPH...this is normal for an engine that is out of balance. This is just an example...gearing, tire size, and the RPM that the vibration occurs, will dictate the actual MPH where it happens.

Some of these engines are very smooth until you hit a high RPM. Again this is normal for an engine that is out of balance.

Considering the cost, I have no problem living with an engine that runs smoothly at cruising speed.

If it vibrates like the dickens all the time...the engine is defective and will need to be replaced.

Jim